Question Can a long HDMI Cable damage AV Receiver Port?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by F16K, Jul 9, 2015.

1. F16K

F16K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Just when I thought I'd finally sorted my AV system out with a new receiver, after only a couple of months working perfectly, I now get no signal using the primary HDMI output. Its a Sony receiver with only 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output to my projector using a HDAnywhere ActiveWire cable, iirc its 15m so not exactly the longest they produce.

So far I've found out the following, having tested the cable in both HDMI outputs it doesn't work in either, but it does work from Output B with another cable. So it seems that both the cable and the amp have failed.
    One side note is that although its an ActiveWire cable, it only worked when the USB power supply wasn't plugged in, which in my mind defeated the object, but as it seemed to work reliably without, I was happy.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there too much load when trying to use long HDMI cables? My Apple TV seemed to suffer a similar fate and now only works with short HDMI cables (that was prior to me getting the receiver though). Another note worth mentioning is that my iMac MDP to HDMI cable was noticeably warm at the HDMI end plugged into the receiver. I don't know how HDMI works, but do they all share their 5v between them to help boost signals?

Sorry for the disjointed post, just trying to make sense of whats occurred and prevent any further or future damage once resolved.

Anyone able to help?

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Never liked Active HDMI cables, they "steal" power for the HDMI cable and that can be an issue.

HDMI should also never be hotplugged as can damage equipment and that may be what has happened

You may actually have had more success with a "standard" 15m HDMI cable

3. F16K

F16K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The cheap 15m Standard HDMI cable I was previously using didn't work correctly, I kept getting sparkles/artefacts in the image, and it wouldn't display unless the refresh rate was low (those who say it either works or doesn't as its a digital signal clearly have little experience). I bought a couple of alternatives both reasonably expensive £80-130, and they didn't work at all. So sent them back and bought the HDAnywhere hoping the ActiveWire may make a difference, and like I said, it didn't work with the USB plugged in, only with it unplugged, so it should still have been passive.

With regards to hot swapping, thats not something I've ever done, and as mentioned, its been working perfectly fine for a few months with no interference from me. So for it to all of a sudden fail suggests component failure rather than user error. I'm just trying to determine the cause and source of the issue.

Before I had the receiver, I was using a cheap HDMI switch and noticed that unless there were several devices connected and powered up, the signal wouldn't be strong enough and therefore wouldn't work, hence my assumption that perhaps HDMI components share their 5v power supplies? I suspect this is why my AppleTV stopped working over long distances as the power supply got damaged by being over loaded. Again, I have no idea how HDMI systems work, but thinking logically, this is all I can come up with.

Either way, looks like Im going to have to send both the cable and the receiver back under warranty to get this fixed.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sparkles and artefacts are the cable not working, thats not deeper blacks and sharper sound

Again the 5V should make no difference if devices are powered

Unfortunately after 8M you need to go for extenders that arent low cost but guarantee signal.

I know there are cheaper solutions and they may work

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Active cables either steal power from the Source or the Sink (Display device) - when you don't require the external PSU the cable must be getting power from somewhere (see above).

Active cables can be problematic in terms of signal handshaking I with some Source and Sink devices.

As Seb points out it is always best to power everything Off at the wall when plugging/unplugging HDMI cables.

Try simplifying the system to a single Source + Cable + Sink and see what works - ensure the Source is Outputting a signal format the Sink supports, when dealing with Computers you will want to know how to force the Source to reset into a lower resolution mode if you initially don't see an image.

Joe

PS Yes you can mess up HDMI Input sockets on kit!