1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a HTPC sort out TV's Red Push?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nathan_silly, May 27, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh suffers from the Red Push problem (excessive reds in the colour decoder)

Will a HTPC be able to adjust the red and sort this problem out?

Best connection will be Component.

oh yeah I had AVforums page onscreen the RP and the AVforums red font & HiFi Bitz red banner was much more garish, compared my LCD screen (also used Avia which confirms of the red push)

Ta

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Nathan

Will your gamma corretion settings in display fix this? i.e. too much red coming in.

You could certainly use a PC to change the gamma of an incoming signal and reduce the red in real time before sending it to a display; although this would probably depend on the graphic card.

StooMonster

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My laptop (SIS 650) has S-Video out, and VGA. It does have gamma setting.. I'll try reducing the red.

Is it possible to use a VGA to component converter?- will it decrease picture quality via a converter?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Could be wrong but I didn't think you got red push with a component signal. I know you certainly don't with an RGB path. The only exception to this is with digitally sampling Tvs (100Hz etc) as the digital stage gives another opportunity to remap colour beyond the colour decoder.

Also I doubt any red push would be corerctable with a simple gamma adjustment : it more likely to be some sort of designed curve response.

Failing that the only other thing it could be is a wonky grayscale: in which case a decent colour temperature calibration may make a difference...although this may in fact exacerbate any decoder originated red push as its likely the TV is actually too blue and a colour temp cal would likely make it redder if anything.

Have a word with Gordon.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I have heard that you can build your own red push attenuator simply using parts from radio shack. You attach the attenuator in-line on the red component, and then use the Avia DVD to calibrate and adjust. I believe this approach preserves the grayscale. You can do the same for the blue if necessary.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can adjust the red push in a Tosh RP TV in the service menu, the information is on the net how to do it if your brave enough.;)

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I did mean curve on red channel. :blush: Bit like adjusting channel curves in Photoshop, but in real time.

Isn't this what Windows Color Management Profiles (ICC and ICM profiles) are for? e.g. I use the correct ones for my Sony FW900 monitor and my colour laser printer.

Don't know if you can find one of these for your television, or edit a standard RGB one to change red curve.

Although I like MikeTV's suggestion, and think JohnS may sort you out.

StooMonster

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I think the RDRV and RCUT does not sort out Red Push, as the problem is at the decoder level, not at the gun level.....

Also it'll mess up the greyscale.

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I used to have the 56wh08 and reduced the rdrv to good effect, still not perfect but definitly better.