1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a HTPC do all of this?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by geordie_blerk, Apr 24, 2005.

1. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of building a HTPC to feed video into my high def (1280x720) DLP screen, via DVI, but I want to make sure it will be able to do everything I want it to do first. So, will a HTPC be able to do the following:

1. Take a S-Video/audio feed from my Sky box and rescale the image to HD
    2. Act as a PVR for the above
    3. Take a component video/digital audio feed from my xbox and rescale the image to HD while recording something from Sky
    4. Playback mpg/divx/mov/mp3 etc and rescale the image to HD while recording something from Sky
    5. Playback DVD from the DVD drive and rescale the image to HD while recording something from Sky
    6. Playback .ts files while recording something from Sky

All of the audio from the above would be output from the PC via an optical digital connection to my amp.

Will this all be possible from a single HTPC box? I'm thinking of using a Hauppage PVR card for the sky input and a sweetspot card for the xbox input. The processor will be an Athlon 64 with 2-4 GB ram. I'll probably be using a Silverstone LC10M as the case.

Which HTPC software would be the best, MCE2005, Meedio, Showshifter etc?

Oh, and I want it as quiet as possible.

Am I expecting too much from a single box?

Any advice and comments are more then welcome.

Thanks.

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I think you need another way of recording from Sky, as it'll work beautifully for all of the above if you just knock off the words "recording something from sky."
    I found that just browsing the internet whilst running DScaler on my LCD as a second display made it jerky... multitasking in XP is good, but not sure it's that good - maybe it'll run on Longhorn when we see it!

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    I think you'll be alright actually.
    The haupage PVR cards have an mpeg encoder built in so it will take the load off your cpu. ( the 150 seems to be the one you want or the 500 if you want dual tuner...only svideo inputs though but this may not represent such a disadvantage from a SKY box)

You should be able to record sky on this whilst using another input card for ( the sweetspot) for the Xbox or any other external source and using Dscaler to deinterlace and scale.

Like wise you should be able to record on the PVR and playback a dvd at the same time.

I don't have a PVR card but I do record with a nebula digiTV ( no hardware encoding but it just dumps the transport stream onto the harddrive so minimal cpu overhead) card whilst watching another source via Dscaler or playing a dvd with Theatertek adn ffdshow postprocessing.

I don't even think you'll need more than 1Gb of ram to handle all this and I've yet to find any reason to have more than 2Gb even on a high end 3d graphics workstation.

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    ah, i neglected the built in mpeg encoders on decent video cards, mine is a TV99 POS!
    The only place you should then run into trouble will be recording and playing from HDD at the same time (excepting the pausing live TV feature which does this OK apparently...)

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    I think you'd be ok recording and viewing a seperate file at the same time. You might have to use a different app to playback the file if the recording app is otherwise busy but most of the poular dvd players will play back other media files and there is always mediaplayer classic and Vlan .