Can a Hdmi splitter seperate sound for 4K TV and 1080P soundbar for 4K console?

BeatleBen

Novice Member
Hi

I have a Panasonic 4K TV which I have a 4K games console connected to.

I also have a Yamaha YSP-2200 with 1080P HDMI ports.

I currently have the console directly connected to the 4K TV via HDMI and the soundbar delivers the sound from the console via the TV's HDMI Arc.

Unfortunately the Arc is giving a mixed down stereo signal to the soundbar and the games console only has HDMI connections.

I wondered if anyone has tried using a 4K device (games console) with HDMI splitter 1 in 2 out in between the TV and Soundbar. So there is a direct connection via HDMI to both sound bar and 4K TV.

Would I need a splitter with a down scaler to 1080P to the soundbar or would it make no difference if it was a 4K splitter as I only need the sound for the soundbar?

Or is there another way I have not thought of?

I hope that makes sense and appreciate any help you guys can give!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI audio is embedded within the video stream so your Soundbar has to see a video signal it understands before it can locate and decode the required audio signal.

You will require a Device which has the ability to pass the 4K UHD, HDR, DV ... signal to the Display plus Output a 1080p/1080i/720p with HD audio signal to the Soundbar.

HDFury have a few options with two or four Inputs - have a look at the Integral², Vertex or Vertex².

Joe

PS I should have noted that if the Source is outputting HDR you are looking at the HDFury Diva if you need to send 1080p SDR to the Soundbar.

Last edited:

BeatleBen

Novice Member
Thanks Joe.

I suspected that the audio would be embedded in the video stream.

To be honest with you the price of the HD Fury and the age of Yamaha soundbar it looks like I will have to retire it to a new home.

I was just hoping there might be a cheap solution but alas you have confirmed my fears.

Thanks again! Really appreciate the in depth response.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It gets tricky trying to pass or split a signal to allow you to combine ‘old’ and new tech.

The YSP is a decent performer.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom