Can a HDMI socket be partially broken??

lettuce

Established Member
Reaction score
The HDMI socket on my 360 appears to have become faulty, i am unable to get a display from my xbox 360 when i have it connected up to my amp via HDMI but i get a display when plugging my 360 straight into my Samsung LCD TV via HDMI.

I bought one of these 3 port HDMI switch adapter...

3-Port-HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Splitter-for-HDTV-1080.jpg

But when i hooked the HDMI cables up to the 3 port HDMI switch none of the status LED's lite up and i got no display, so i though it must have been faulty so unplugged it all and place the HDMI cable back in my Xbox 360 thats when i started to get no display on the 360 when connected to the amp!

I have tried my PS3 console using the same HDMI cable as used on my 360 on the same HDMI socket on the Sony amp that the 360 use and that works 100% fine, so it cant be the HDMI cable or the amp or HDMI socket on the amp.

I cannot understand why i cannot get a display via the amp but can when i plug the Xbox 360 straight into the LCD TV, im not sure if the 3 port HDMI switch adapter i got has some how damage the HDMI socket on my Xbox 360, but if that was the case then surely the socket wouldn't work at all and so i wouldn't get a display when connecting up to my LCD TV but i do. I was under the impression that either a HDMI socket works or it doesn't there's no middle ground but this problem appears to suggest otherwise. Does anyone know what the hell is causing this issue is it something to do with the digital 'handshake' of the HDMI socket between the Xbox 360 and the amp or HDCP related maybe?

Last edited:
How is the switch powered?

Are you rebooting all items when you are making a physical change to the HDMI connectivity – always power everything Off at the wall, leave a few secs then re-power.

There are a few Switch units which have problems with the Xbox – ensure your Xbox firmware is up-to-date.

Joe

Is powered via the HDMI cable.

Im not using the switch at the moment i have removed it from my HDMI cables, but since trying to use it im now unable to get a picture or sound on my Xbox 360 when plugging it into my amp, if i plug the HDMI cable straight into my TV i get a picture fine. Thats what i cant understand, surely if the socket on the Xbox 360 was broken or damaged i wouldn't get a picture whatever i did but i am able to but not when plug into the amp, its not the amp either as i have tired the same HDMI cable in the same HDMI socket on the amp with my PS3 and that works fine.

Any ideas if there is something inherently different from a HDMI socket on an amp and that found on a LC TV that might cause this issue?

HDMI doesn't make provision for powering ancillary devices via the HDMI cable – there is provision for powering some circuitry within the Sink (Display) device via HDMI from the Source and folk have learnt to try and ‘steal' this power to power lower cost accessories such as Switchgear!

If the Switch has provision for an external Power Supply give it a go!

HDMI Input/Output sockets are not all created equal – there are many variables in terms of the chip and properties of the chip which hide behind the socket on your hardware!

Ensure you are re booting your kit whenever you make a physical change in HDMI connectivity – ideally power everything Off at the wall, then make the physical change then re power the system!

Joe

There is no power socket to plug an external PSU on the switch.

I had my 360, LCD, and amp turned off all day today while i was at work, and tried it this evening when i got home and i still couldnt get a display. I find it very strange that im able to get a picture and sound when plugging directly to my LCD TV but cannot when going through my amp...it doesnt make sense really as what on earth can be the factor in one working and the other not

In addition to (and before devices can start to pass a video/audio signal) HDMI includes EDID (capabilities) and HDCP (encryption) signaling within the signal bus!

If anywhere within your three way handshake (Source > AV Amp > Sink) any of the handshakes fail to authenticate or ensure the Source is outputting a video or audio signal format all connected devices support things can and do go wrong!

Once an HDMI signal gets going it has to continually (roughly every two secs) re authenticate and again things can go wrong!

Ensure your Source, AV Amp and Sink (Display) are all running the most up-to-date firmware for each device!

Try forcing the Source into a lower resolution signal and set it to 2-channel audio, also ensure the AV Amp is set to pass HDMI to the Sink (TV) – if you get things going then try resetting to 1080p and whatever audio you wish to send to the AVR.

A Switch with no provision for external power is not a well-designed switch and can cause long-term problems to your Source devices!

You wouldn’t be the first to find some poor quality HDMI cables causing problems when using an Xbox!

Joe

Cheers Joe, the reason im 99% this HDMI switch has cause the problem is everything was working 100% fine before and have never had a problem ever before until plugging in this HDMI 3 hub switch. So when i removed the HDMI switch from my cables and plugged them back into my 360 again it should of just carried on working, so the handshake was working fine before so im not sure why it wouldnt now?

Could this HDMI switch cause damage to EDID and or HDCP of the HDMI socket on the 360? Can you explain (in idiots language) why i wouldnt be able to get a display when using my TV but not when going through the amp?

I have noticed that sometimes if i remove and plug in the hdmi cable a few times when the amp and 360 are still on i can get the HDMI icon on the amp to appear (so its detecting a hdmi cable) but i still dont get a picture or sound, if selecting a different source on the amp and go back to the 360 source then the HDMI icon isnt lite up anymore, the same if i get the HDMI icon to light up if i change the source channel (HDMI 1-4) on my TV it causes the HDMI icon on the amp to go out also

The plot thickens on this one, yesterday I took my 360 and HDMI cable around my mates to try it on his Yamaha amp and it totally worked fine, got a display straight away!. So now I'm really confused as I was sure it was some minor fault on the 360 but this would suggest its now my amp...or is it both. Is it possible some very minor fault occurred on both HDMI ports (360 & amp) that now when they are paired together they can no longer work together but use them with any other device and they will be fine. Is this even possible!?, as at the moment it's the only plausible theory I can come up with!?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom