1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a HDD-based recorder be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gobstopper, Dec 13, 2004.

1. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I originally posted this on thedvdforums.com, but was advised that I might get a more informed answer from this community.

I'm currently having a think about getting a DVD recorder and it looks like I will be getting one of the Panasonic DMR-E recorders. As far as I can see I can approach this in one of two ways.

I can either jump straight into the shallow end, get a DMR-E55, record all of my material to RAM and then use my PC (kitted out accordingly) to then archive what I would like to keep permanently to DVD-R. Or, I could look at one of the HDD-based models and do all of the necessary editing on the box.

Each option has it's pro's & con's. Obviously the first option means that I will need to upgrade my PC and get some authoring software which will allow me to create menu's etc... But, to me, this is the cheaper option and the most flexible (I'm no expert, but from what I have read in other posts, the built-in editing and menu-creating systems tend to be fairly basic). The option of getting an HDD-based recorder does mean that I can keep the process on one box, but I reckon that the amount I would need to spend upgrading my PC is still less than the difference between the DMR-E55 and the 85.

The other reason for shying away from something like the 85 is the inevitable fact that newer machines are being released with even bigger disks (though hugely expensive for me at the moment) which may well drop to within my budget within 6-12 months.

I actually like the idea of being able to use my PC to do the editing and burning to DVD-R. But, warranty aside, I was wondering whether it is possible to upgrade the hard disks in these devices and whether anyone had tried it?

I would appreciate any advise on this. Thanks.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This is a difficult subject, because from a technical point of view, all IDE hard disks are theoretically interchangeable. However, that's on a PC. With most modern PC's, just unbolting one hard disk and fitting a bigger one is child's play.

With something like a HDD recorder, you have another problem. In a PC, you have a "BIOS" chip (BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System), and the BIOS contains data that the PC uses to recognise the different types of drive. A HDD recorder won't necessarily have a BIOS, and therefore the manufacturers write into the operating system of the recorder the max size of disk that the recorder will accept, and only the manufacturer knows what this is. From a lot of trial and error, people have found that the latest version of Sky+ boxes will accept up to a 250GB hard disk, but the manufacturers don't give out this information freely, and only becomes generally available when a lot of enthusiasts are conducting their own experiments.