Can a GR-D23 capture analogue to DV tape?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by TonyM19, Dec 26, 2004.

1. TonyM19

TonyM19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I’m considering buying a GR-D23 camcorder. I appreciate that here are probably better ones about but budget is an issue.

The clincher would be if I could use it to transfer analogue to digital. According to the specs I’ve read, the GR-D23 has Video in/out and DV out (but no DV in). Does this mean that I could connect my VCR to the camcorder and save analogue to DV tape? Could I do the same with my old Samsung analogue camcorder?

I’ve read that some camcorders can convert analogue to digital without recording to DV tape. Can the GR-D23? If not, how can you tell by looking at the specs?

What benefit would I get from DV in? If it’s a real issue I’ll go back to the drawing board.

Cheers

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    If a camcorder does not have DV-in then it will not have AV-in. AV-in is the feature you need to be able to connect an analogue device such as your VCR to the cam.
    Many cams with DV-in will still not have AV-in so you need to check the specs closely to make sure it has the features you require.

Mark.

3. TonyM19

TonyM19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick response.

The search continues :)