Question Can a faulty Toslink cable cause audio clipping??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lettuce, Dec 11, 2016.

1. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    So im having audio issues with my video capture setup, my setup consists of.....

TV
    Game Console
    A/V AMP
    HDMI Audio Extractor (also strips hdcp)
    Multi Channel DAC
    Capture device

Now i basically need these extra devices to strip the hdcp and also grab the audio for the HDMI and then feed this (via toslink) to my FiiO D07 DAC to downmix the 5.1 audio (from my Amp) to stereo for my capture, because of this im not using the audio over the HDMI but instead breaking it out from the HDMI Audio Extractor device to a toslink cable which is in-turn feeds to my multi-channel DAC and then from that via phone cables (left and right) is feed into my capture card, so my video is coming from the HDMI and audio over analog (phono).

Now up until just last week this has been working fine but now the audio has become super hot, distorted and clips a lot and im not sure why. I have tried replacing the, HDMI Audio Extractor, DAC and also tried a different capture device and these all result in have the same issue, the only time i dont have the issue is if i just use the audio over the HDMI cable thus removing the toslink from the equation when i use the HDMI for both video and audio the audio is fine as demostrated by these 2 videos.....

HDMI

Phono

So this only leaves the Toslink cable or the phono cable that could be cause the issue right, as i have replace every other part of the setup (minus the AMP itself). Could a faulty Toslink or Phono cable cause audio issues like this??

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    A faulty cable or faulty socket could be the issue - though can't remember when (if ever) we've had a faulty Optical cable (apart from folk chopping through them).

I take it there is a reason you can't stick with the all HDMI signal path you say is working?

Joe

3. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hmm i guess we can rule out a faulty socket as i have swapped out the majoirty of the device in the link to try and pin point the issue...it only leaves the Phono or the Toslink cable itself.

Yeah i want to use 5.1 audio when im playing but the capture card doesn't support 5.1 so i need to use the multi channel DAC to downmix it from 5.1 to stereo and im not award of a DAC device that is multi-channel and uses HDMI as an input?

4. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ok i have tried different toslink and phono cables and i still get the same issues!!. So im at a complete lose as to whats causing the distortion when using line-in and be fine when using HDMI. Because the audio is fine when using the HDMI cable we can rule out the Game Console, A/V AMP and HDMI Audio Extractor unit as the HDMI cable would still use all of these devices. The only point at which the line-in and hdmi cables start to use different devices to the DAC device and the toslink and phono cables.

Unless its the actual DB9 Breakout cable that came with the capture card that you hook the phone cables up to thats faulty??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  5. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ok slight update. I decided to connect the stereo phono cable directly from the DB9 breakout cable on the capture card to the 2 phono sockets on the HDMI Audio Extractor box, so bypassing the DAC unit and Toslink cable and what do you know no distortion on the audio.

This now puzzles me as i have tried 2 different DAC devices and 2 different Toslink cable and they both product audio distortion, this never used to be the case and used to work just fine. So whjy no is there an issue and with 2 completely different DAC units and toslink cables it doesnt seem to make sense unless im missing something?