Can a DVD Recorder control Sky+ ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karl, Mar 21, 2003.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I`m thinking of purchasing either a Phillips or Panasonic DVD recorder to archive stuff from Sky+. Not seeking a comparison of the recorders but rather a technical question regarding their interaction with Sky+.

I do not have a normal aerial feed into the house. Just Sky+ output via RGB Scart or S-video.

Can these recorders control Sky+ to turn on a channel to record ?

Sky+ can record a channel itself whilst the DVD records another. Would I have to put Sky onto the right channel for that or is there a way of automating it. I think a "normal" sky box has something called autoview which does this.

Any views / experiences ?

Thanks

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi there.
    I have the Panasonic E30 recorder. As far as i am aware there is no function to control channel change on SKY+. This is not necessary as you select the programs you wish to record from the SKY planner (you can obviously archive them at a later date)
    If, as you have suggested, you wish to record 2 channels at the same time then you can of course record one via the SKY+ hard drive and, as long as you keep your digibox on the selected channel, you can record the other straight to DVD-R etc.
    Apparently, SKY are still planning to update the SKY+ service to allow you to record two channels at once, while watching an already recorded program. Hope this helps.

3. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

An "autoview" option on Sky+ would help with recording a program whilst we are out or after another family member has surfed the channels.

Seems as long as I put Sky onto the selected channel and leave it on there until the alloted time then all will be well.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the recording function of sky+ does not work like that

you can watch any sky channel you like whilst it records another sky channel this is then stored onto the hard disc of sky+

the only purpose of it controlling sky would be if you wanted to record two different sky channels at once whilst you are out (one on sky+'s hard disc one onto the DVDR)

DVDR can not control sky+ so the only way you can the second prog on sky is to leave it on that channel

However dual record is coming soon to sky+ so this problem will be removed

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless of course you want to record three things at once!

DaveP

6. Ragnar1976

Ragnar1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is one other way of changing the channel of a Sky+ unit,
    you need to get hold of a learning remote that has 1) a timer function, & 2) the ability to programme macros.

You programme the remote with a macro of the channel number, eg:button 1, button 0, button 6, for Sky 1, then set the timer on the remote to run the macro sequence at the time you want to change channels.

It is not the most attractive or simplest of options, but it does the job, the only problem is that not many learning remotes have both a macro facility & a timer. :(

7. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought a Panasonic E-50 on Friday (£380) and I have started archiving from my (quite full) Sky+.

The learning remote option sounds interesting if a little complex. Why did Sky not leave in autoview - it would solve this problem - presumably present with video recorders on Sky+ too.

Very impressed with the Panasonic so far. Already using Flexible record to archive movies (see separate post re: archiving a number of programs using FR).

I thought there was more options for editing DVD-R`s before finalizing. Cannot seem to edit out ads etc only on DVD-RAM.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can not edit out ads on -R after recording only on RAM

when I archive from sky+ to -R I manually edit out ads whilst recording

your only option is to record on -RAM

if you then wish to put on to -R you will need a second RAM friendly dvd player or a DVD writer capable of reading RAM