Can a Basic Amazon Tablet be Connected to a TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nheather, May 7, 2016.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Apologies, have posted in the tablet forum - lots of views but no responses.

Because a travel a lot on business I'm looking for a way of playing downloaded programmes from the likes of Amazon Prime, iPlayer and maybe Sky on a tablet and feeding the output to the hotel's TV.

Firstly, I am aware that some hotel TVs have their inputs locked so pretty stuffed in those cases.

Also, hotel WiFi is often not reliable enough to support streaming which is why I am looking at programmes that I have already downloaded.

Can't use my laptop because it is a company asset, pretty much locked down and has a use policy that I would not want to break.

I have an iPad and you can get a Lightning to HDMI adaptor but it is (1) pretty expensive and (2) unclear what it actually does. I have done a lot of research but can find nothing concrete. What I have seen might suggest that it blocks Sky, only shows Amazon Prime in poor resolution and will only reproduce the 4:3 screen of the iPad regardless of the format of the film. As I say all unsubstantiated and no clear info on the apple or amazon prime sites. The adaptor is too expensive to try.

So I was wondering about one of the basic 7" amazon tablets - they are £50 only a little more than the iPad HDMI adapator.

My question - anyone have one of these and can you connect an HDMI lead to output to TV. If you can if the downloaded programme is in HD will it output HD to the TV.

Many thank,

Nigel

2. oska

oska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Yes you can and yes it should. Also possible to screen cast if the tv supports it so no need for the cable.

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,115
    Are you sure?
    Casting yes, but I can't see any ports on the tablet for connecting directly to a TV (scroll down to technical details)
    Fire tablet - Amazon.co.uk

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,761
  5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Can iPads screencast. I wasn't sure you can.

My research has aways ended up that it can talk to Apple TV over airplay but that is it.

But I could be wrong as I'm struggling to find concrete information - just lots of assumptions and speculation - I mean on the internet in general, not here.

Cheers,

Nigel

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,115
    That dongle says its compatible with AirPlay.

...according to the first & only review of it, you might even get it for free if you leave an 'honest' review for it :rotfl:

Still worth investigating (with reviews from elsewhere) as it may be a good solution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,761
    Yeah, that was just the first one I came across after a search for screen cast dongle on Amazon, well spotted on the Review :). I'm fairly sure my wife can screen cast to a chromecast from her Ipad 2 Nigel, I'll ask her to check.
    I haven't recommended a chromecast though Nigel as they need an internet connection to function, and I'd assume you'd want something that can stand alone.

8. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    I've connected a kindle HD to a standard tv using the mini hd port and you get HD resolution. You need to check what apps you can run on the kindle though. The Amazon store is a much cut down version of what's on Google play. I rooted mine and hacked it do I could get more apps but last time I looked it wasn't supported in sky go

9. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Watch out as some apps don't allow casting.

The Amazon fire only has a port for charging.

There are ezcast apps and Miracast dongles but I don't find them particularly use friendly, I've got the sumvision one but it's been used a handful of times and I consider myself a techy!

Just my input.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,761
    Sometimes, you just can't beat a piece of cable :)

11. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    In the US on business at the moment and just popped into Best Buy.

The standard fire tablet is £50 in the UK - it is on offer in Best Buy at £30.

Would be nice to find out if I can connect an HDMI cable to this.

It doesn't have a dedicated HDMI socket (even a mini one). Just seems to be power and headphone. But I wonder whether the power socket is multi-purpose like the Lightning socket on the iPad.

I'll send a question to Amazon but not expecting much sense back. For all their fantastic customer support they are pretty rubbish at answering eMails. They respond but it is usually gibberish.

Cheers,

Nigel

12. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,115
    It seems there was an adapter for the 2014 Fire tablet, but I don't know if there is one for the current Fire tablet model, or if the old adapter works with the current model
    Eg
    http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-HDMI-A...=1462643199&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_2&sr=8-2

13. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Many thanks,

Reading the Q&As on the listing it would seem that it won't work with the base fire tablet (5th edition).

Cheers,

Nigel

14. Pisto_Grih

Pisto_Grih
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    You can get micro USB to HDMI Adaptors, not sure if those tablets support it but its something Android can do

15. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Forgive me, I know very little about mirroring or casting.

Does this just mimic the screen of the tablet or does it present in the original format of the video.

For example, modern TVs have an aspect ratio of 16:9 so iPlayer stuff will match that. But the major weakness of the iPad for videos is that it is 4:3, like old TVs, so even iPlayer stuff has black bars or is zoomed in to miss content to the left or right.

Watching movies is even worse because they are narrower still.

So if I have an iPad solution, and I would go with the Apple AV Adaptor if I could be sure it worked, I want something that is going to output the video in the proper format.

Cheers,

Nigel

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I'm sure you don't need to root the kindle nowadays to get the Google play store.
    I have a chromecast which works well. However not all apps support streaming to the TV with it

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,761
    I'm fairly sure that the chromecast needs to be connected to your wifi network and that network needs an internet connection to work. Which is fine at home but not necessarily very practical in a hotel.

18. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    I have a HDMI adaptor that I have used in the past (bit defunct now as I have a fire stick) but have only every used it for streaming Netflix, I player and itv hub and the occasional film stored on the iPad.

It always gave a full 16:9 output if the program was designed to be presented that way.

I have never tried downloading something from iplayer and then watching at a later date.

As far as sky go goes, nothing will let you cast it to a TV and it is solely for the device. Sky designed it that way. In the past when jail broken you could have but they fixed the loop hole.

Personally I would go with the adaptor and a HDMI cable from pound land and I am sure you could pick up an adaptor for £20 2nd hand? Also it would save carrying another tablet around all the time?

19. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Looked at historic sales on eBay and the adapters sell well at around £30 plus postage. You can get one new for £40 and given some reviews of how unreliable they are, I don't think the small second hand saving is worth it.

Mine is the lightning connector which is commanding high resale, the adapters for the old connector are much cheaper.

I guess it is a case of buying one and returning it if it doesn't work well.

Cheers,

Nigel