1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a 5.1 be converted to 6.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chevy91z, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Chevy91z

Chevy91z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading some threads and there seems to be some real good advice in these forums.. What I was wondering is Can my Yamaha receiver be converted to a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever? Where it will need a seperate decoder and where can I find one if it is made? I have been going crazy trying to find information on this and no one could help me. Any advice would be appreiciated. O and Just buying a new receiver is a little to obvious so dont bother telling me that. Again thanks for any help in advance.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To get 6.1/7.1 your receiver needs to be able to decode the newer ES/EX formats & you need to have 6 or 7 channels of amplification.
    I would guess that as you say your receiver is 5.1 it will only have 5 amp channels & if it does it will therefore not decode 6.1 disks as 6.1. Therefore I would think your only real option is to get a new receiver. Some receivers can decode the new formats but only have 5 channel amps but will have pre-outs to feed external amps. Look for the ES/EX symbols to see if you can decode them. If it just has DD/DTS then it will only be 5.1
    You can buy a separate processor and amps but these tend to be high(er) end equipment that cost a lot more money than a new 7.1 receiver.

Mark.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Sometimes the most obvious is the correct answer.;) But I won't bother telling you that.:D

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I agree with Jase here.
    Yamaha have 8.1 compatible amp/recievers for less than 300.00, adding an external EX/ES processor of which i am aware of only two is just as costly and does not allow time alignment and break-down to center back channel.

Steven

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Could you do it by connecting a prologic processor/amp to the rear pre-outs?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I doubt it as you would only have the pre-outs for 5.1, therefore the surround rears would be exactly the same output as the side surrounds. This would not therefore be 7.1

Mark.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I've thought it through now :)

The processor/amp connected to the rear preouts. The centre channel of the processor/amp is the centre rear and the L/R surrounds are the L/R front outputs of the processor/amp. A processor will need an additional power amp for the front channels (now surrounds). Academic interest only as it'll be a whole lot easier and cheaper to buy a new amp.

8. Chevy91z

Chevy91z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I figured as much but I was hopeing there might be a cheaper solution to do it. O well, It took another country for me to get the correct answer and I really appreciate the help. So new receiver time for me, Yamaha here I come again. O By the way, if anyone needs something shipped from the U.S. I'll be glad to help you out as a thanks.