Question Can a 12v PSU be used as a 12v trigger?

TheGoldenOne

Novice Member
I have an amplifier that has a feature where after 40 minutes of inactivity, it turns itself off. Later revisions of it had the ability to disable this but mine does not.
However, it does have a 12v trigger input, and when turned on via the 12v trigger, this 40 minute timer is disabled.

I wanted to ask, if I am simply planning to keep the amp on 24/7, can I just use a 12v DC power supply with a barrel to 3.5mm TS adaptor? Is the 12v trigger literally just 12v DC or is there something else going on?
If I could effectively just use a 12vDC psu to keep the trigger input 'on', that would be an easy fix, but don't want to blow anything up

Thanks!

dobrykamil

12V is the 12V, no matter where is it come from.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Simple answer is yes. 12v trigger will initiate a command. ( I don’t know if the 40 m time out will be active or not.)
A few points. It’s best to check the adaptor is not more than 12v. Off load, many adaptors that are not stabilised, might be higher. Especially old style transformers. Switch mode are usually better in terms of stabilisation and will output 12v off load and on load.
For safety I would put a 1 k ohm resistor in series just to limit current. Just a safety measure. But that is optional!

TheGoldenOne

Novice Member
12V is the 12V, no matter where is it come from.
I know, its just I wanted to check that a 12v trigger is indeed literally just a constant 12v DC, and not a pulse or similar.

ie: Can I literally just plug my Ifi Ipower 12v psu via an adaptor into the 12v trigger port and have it work?

Rambles

Distinguished Member

Khazul

For safety I would put a 1 k ohm resistor in series just to limit current. Just a safety measure. But that is optional!

That depends what you are triggering. IIRC 12V trigger is generally specified to cope with switching a 120R relay though TBH I havnt come across a device for ages whos trigger is actually a directly driven relay. Most devices these these days seem to have quite high load resistance so you may be OK with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom