1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can 5.1 surround sound be achieved with a normal CD?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by SpeakerboxDude, Mar 22, 2004.

1. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to recreate a surrond sound experience on a 5.1 speaker system with just a normal CD rather than a SACD or DVD-Audio? So instead of the normal CD playing through just the two front speakers, is there a way to tweak the A/V receiver so that it processes/replicates the sound through all 5 speakers? I've heard that the Onkyo 760 system does this automatically but was wondering whether it is possible to achieve this effect using a certain setting??

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Most processors/receivers will have modes that allow 2 channel to be played in surround mode, standard pro logic will do this, pro logic II even has a music mode that will redirect sound to all channels.

You'll also normally have a load of emulation stuff such as hall, disco etc. that will do this.

Hope that answers your question.

Slingshot

3. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool Slingshot, thanks very much for that info. It has cleared things up. Can't wait to hear my music through a 5.1 system when I upgrade to one. Cheers :smashin:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    yeah, you can force 2-channel Cd to 5.1........but why the hell would you want to?

5. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because surely music will sound much better coming from several directions within a room rather than just one side of the room, or am I mistaken?

I would have thought that utilising all 5.1 speakers of a setup would sound far better than just 2.1 as it would feel multidirectional hence an enhanced listening experience.

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always prefer to use stereo for my CDs. As the centre speaker is in the middle it can reduce stereo imaging. Unfortunately music is only as good as its source, and as CD is stereo that's as good as it'll get, the sound will only go left to right, the amp can't add sounds going back to front. It's quite nice to be enveloped in sound, but I find that with my room 2 speakers do that quite well enough :)

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    DSP modes can be good fun for about 30 seconds......then you'll go back to direct/pure mode.

8. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can get a few DTS disks. As long as you have a DTS decoder in your amplifier, the sound quality it pretty good. 5.1 sound from a CD, there you go.
    But if you were talking about a normal audio cd, then I wouldn't bother. I have a resonably good amp with many DSP modes. A couple sound ok but the others are tiresom on the ears.
    More is not always better, if the producer wanted the music to be in 5.1 then he/she would have produced it that way.

9. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd go further and say if the artist intended it to be so then they would have composed with Multi Channel in mind. If the source was anything other than a purpose "designed" piece of music, then it would be more concentrated, assuming you sit facing the music, as is normal, this will almost always be the case. E.G. an orchestra stays fairly close together in order to purvay a cohesive sound even in a recording sudio. In a live situation of course there are practical limits anyhow that dictate the situation. An orchesta cannot sit all round the audience unless the audience was very small and a solo artist would be completely stuffed :) So until such time, as multi channel music is inherent at source, good stereo should not be under estimated IMO

Cheers

Croc