can 4k BD players play 4k native MP4 files?

Martin68

Established Member
Reaction score
As Home video cameras from smart phones to dslr and camcorders can now shoot 4k video, it's quite obvious to want to watch the videos on a tv apposed to a computer. and In my case I prefer to store what i create on removable media such as BD-r

I have yet to find a program that can create normal standard 4k BD discs with menues etc (like most programs can create 1080 discs to play back on a stand alone blu ray player)

So, being that i want to play my own 4k videos back on a proper 4k tv using a 4k bluray player, Is it possible to play back the videos if i sinply burn the BD with the MP4 files? or edit the clips into a movie on my computer, then burn the movie as an MP4 or even a AVCHD file onto disc? will 4k Bluray players play the videos at the same quality as if it was a proper standard 4k bluray disc?

Hi Martin,
I stumbled on your post and although things advance rapidly these days, I found that your questions matched my own for the last couple of years since capturing a lot of 4K camcorder footage, and wondered if you found a reasonable solution?
Although there are probably many ways now, I adopted a method of using USB sticks for playback or archiving my 4K MK4 files quite easily without any loss of quality.
The USB stick has the advantage for me that it will play directly from my 4K tv or 4K BD Player and anybody else's 4K tv. SD ports seem to be missing on sets these days so USB is good.
What I do is copy the camera file(s) from SD card onto PC HDD and use a great free tool "MP4Joiner" to seamlessly join the files in order without loss of quality.
If the resulting file size is larger than FAT32 limit, I usually reformat the stick to NTFS and then copy the big file to it. The results are excellent seem-less join and quality wise!
I do not do any editing normally.
As I said earlier, there are probably some other ways with the 4K files and I am sure someone will chip-in with these!
PS I tried 4K files burned to BD - Would not play on my 4K Player
Cheers
Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom