1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can 4 and 8ohm speakers be mixed?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nevC, Apr 29, 2003.

1. nevC

nevC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Pioneer VSX20-11 and 5 8ohm speakers - JM Labs Chorus 715. I want to add 2 more speakers for the extended surround channels. Can the Pioneer cope with a 4ohm load? Will any amp capable of driving 4 and 8ohm loads be able to reach the same volume or SPL with all 7 speakers or will some channels seem to run out of steam? Are integrated AV amps generally less able to deal with tricky loads? I had been considering adding a Dynaudio Audience 82 to the front but some of the threads on this forum have questioned the Pioneers' ability to drive 4ohm speakers. Is it best to have uniform impedance all round?

I have been thinking of using QED Silver Anniversary cable for the front 3 speakers. What cable would be recommended for the 4 rears - the Silver Anniversary is a little expensive as the distance is 10-11m?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    On speaker cable try mains cable or QED bronze at £2.50 a meter!

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know the pioneer to be honest...... on your front channel i suspect that 4 ohm would still be acceptable. I dont know how picky people are about having a fully impedence matched set, certainly until recently i didnt have all the same. Whats the point worrying if your speakers arent alll the same anyhow i reckoned?! As for the volume levels, thats niot what i suspect the problem would be. It wouldbe more the distortiohn and strain on the amp i would be concerned about

ad