1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can £6000 Buy A Good Audio Setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Sep 8, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can 6K Buy a Good Audio Setup?

I like Big and Loud. Although I won't be listening to the setup at ridiculous DBS I wanna feel it and be like wow, that is good.

But I have always found buying an AV setup a bit daunting, centre speakers, side 2, rear 2, subwoofer, amp and all them cables...

With £6000, what would you buy?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    For one I would buy a very decent power amp for a couple of reasons one being that power amps will last a very very long time and dont need upgrading and two being with hd-dvd new audio formats will be coming out so you only have to upgrade the processor. when they do.

3. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i would buy my vivadi speakers off me lol!

they are big and loud!! :smashin:

but for 6k i think you should be able to build something pretty impressive mate as most people on here are satisfied with gear at a third of the price! would be interestin to see what you come up with!

4. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a total n00b when it comes to all this kinda stuff, that is why I went the YSP-1 route - shame that has messed up my hearing, but I am healing.

I got a 56 Sagem TV, and now that I am speaker-less I am using the TV Speaker which is kinda good - but I am sure I can do better.

I just want something BIG. But I am sure these days Big is not better. How is that KEF KHT 9000ACE, looks kinda cute for speakers paired with a Pioneer AX5Ai?

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think that is wise after you're experience with the YSP-1 ???

6. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    isn't the art of a good setup that it sounds big without necessarily going over loud? I would hazard a guess and say £6k will find what you're looking for. Is it just for the TV or do you want to play music too? Does it need to look good or is that not a worry?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    kmhtkmhtkmht

We'll all be in trouble if its not possible to deliver a decent quality sound system for £6K.

Moving from a YSP-1 to a system you can 'feel' seems a big step up if the YSP-1 was delivering everything you required previously.

The 'wow' factor has to be delivered by the music your listening to not the technology - if the technology is delivering the wow you'll soon enough get bored with it.

What does your £6K budget have to cover? What room size? You've already indicated one 'style' of loudspeaker are you open to other suggestions using more conventional 'cabinet' loudspeakers.

Best regards

Joe

PS Make that visit to your GP before you start auditioning alternative loudspeaker technologies!!!