Can’t receive any channels

mattyess

Novice Member
Hi all, new here I’ve had a look around but struggling to find a solution. My youview box stopped picking up channels so after playing about I ended up replacing the aerial with a high gain digital aerial, but still nothing. I bought a hand held signal tester and I’m getting 60db which I can increase to 80 with a booster but so still don’t receive any free to view channels. I’ve also tried another box and the use of an internal aerial which I get signal with but no channels. Any help appreciated
Thanks!

finlux

You could try a factory reset of the Youview box.

Incidently, have you tried plugging in the aerial directly into the back of your TV and scanning for Freeview channels? If it finds everything then your box is the issue. If it doesn't then it is likely to be the aerial/cable/connector.

mattyess

Novice Member
You could try a factory reset of the Youview box.

Incidently, have you tried plugging in the aerial directly into the back of your TV and scanning for Freeview channels? If it finds everything then your box is the issue. If it doesn't then it is likely to be the aerial/cable/connector.
Yeah I tried into the tv and another youview box but still no joy. And also a new coax cable. The aerial I got was just from Amazon, might just buy a ‘kit’ from a proper shop and see if that makes a difference, cheers

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Those meters can be misleading but some use very similar devices regularly in caravanning.

Check those connections and any fly-leads carefully. It's more likely a badly made joint somewhere than almost anything else. Or the aerial is pointing the wrong way for your transmitter.

Proper aerial shops are few and far between. Don't buy kits from the diy sheds and similar retailers!

A link to what you bought from Amazon wouldn't go amiss. Together with your location (town/suburb/village name or a nearby shop/pub/church/school postcode).

Where was/is the aerial located (roof, gutter, loft space, room TV in)?
Was the downlead cable between aerial and set replaced.

Knowledge - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials is worth a read and if you need to buy better stuff their largesse with the information freely given could be repaid by buying from them?

mattyess

Novice Member
Thanks, I was unsure with the reader in all honesty
That’s what I got from Amazon the aerial is on the eaves but the pole puts it above the roof. In based in Newcastle but the retailer I’ve ordered from is based in Sheffield Poles and masts Archives - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials
I’ve ordered a yagi 18a aerial. And yeah I’ve replaced all cables to and from aerial and youview box. I’ve got it pointing the same was as all the neighbours. Cheers

mattyess

Novice Member
Figured it out!!! I was using rg6 cable I swapped it over for ct100 and it worked a treat! Maybe helpful if anyone else has the same issue. Thanks for the help and suggestions tho!

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the update. It proves the adage of buy cheap buy twice.

But the spec of good RG6 cable is very similar to XX100 cable wrt losses per kilometre Coaxial Cable Specifications WF100 CT100 WF65 RG6
So in theory RG6 should have been good enough.

One problem is copper clad steel-cored RG6 and DC resistance (for LNB or masthead amp power) on longer cable runs. The copper coating will scrape off too, from inserting/re-inserting into connections (and UHF frequencies are carried on the 'skin' of the core so maybe that was the issue? Allegedly some RG6 is solid copper core.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom