Can’t believe the difference a projector makes.

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve achieved a boyhood dream of having a projector and a pull down screen that goes in front of my TV setup installed in my living room.

It’s the Epson 9400 with a sapphire 92 inch screen and the XTZ Cinema speaker range.

Put simply: I cannot get over the difference having the screen makes to my movie viewing. I’ve been using a 65 inch OLED which I’ve loved but there is just something about the projector. It really is transformative.

An example: I’ve been watching a lot of scenes of films rather than a whole movie. I put Attacj of the Clones on tonight. I saw this at the cinema when I was 15 with my parents and have watched it no end of times. However, tonight, watching the final scenes and the final credits with the music, I was transported back to that first viewing. It was really rather moving.

It really does feel that every time I use the setup I’m suddenly not in my living room and am actually at the cinema.

Also bizarre how pulling the screen down seems to make the sound so much better as well.

Anyway, just needed to share the joy!

I’ve achieved a boyhood dream of having a projector and a pull down screen that goes in front of my TV setup installed in my living room.

It’s the Epson 9400 with a sapphire 92 inch screen and the XTZ Cinema speaker range.

Put simply: I cannot get over the difference having the screen makes to my movie viewing. I’ve been using a 65 inch OLED which I’ve loved but there is just something about the projector. It really is transformative.

An example: I’ve been watching a lot of scenes of films rather than a whole movie. I put Attacj of the Clones on tonight. I saw this at the cinema when I was 15 with my parents and have watched it no end of times. However, tonight, watching the final scenes and the final credits with the music, I was transported back to that first viewing. It was really rather moving.

It really does feel that every time I use the setup I’m suddenly not in my living room and am actually at the cinema.

Also bizarre how pulling the screen down seems to make the sound so much better as well.

A lot of it is the size.

The 65'' OLED doesn't stand a chance. Neither does the 77'.

^Some of it is the size difference but a think the majority of the difference comes from the fact its an image projected on to a screen rather than the image coming out of a screen, they have a completely different look.

great to hear enjoying the benefit ... i run a dual screen setup...if our pro kuro last and best plasma 2nd display for every day TV ever turns up its legs and dies we will get a 75" OELD but it wont be replacing the projector ...

as @Luminated67 says there is just something about a projected image ... that makes it cinema :D that TVs just cant replace ...

+1 from me on this...the PJ image is much more pleasing than a TV image.... in fact for me my 1080P projector image is much more appealing then the UHD HDR10 58" TV. I can say this statement even if i make my Projector image of same 58" size. So certainly it is not only the size.

^Some of it is the size difference but a think the majority of the difference comes from the fact its an image projected on to a screen rather than the image coming out of a screen, they have a completely different look.
Definitely agree with this - it’s a different visual effect and also it feels more cinema-like, whereas even a really big TV still wouldn’t. Once you can get an affordable mega flat panel (maybe a modular one) that can do 90-100” it might feel the same, but cost wise that’s obscene at the moment. You can get a fantastic image with a projector for £1000-1500 if you’re prepared to go second hand, but for what it costs new I think the Epson 9400 absolutely obliterates any near competition

Definitely agree with this - it’s a different visual effect and also it feels more cinema-like, whereas even a really big TV still wouldn’t. Once you can get an affordable mega flat panel (maybe a modular one) that can do 90-100” it might feel the same, but cost wise that’s obscene at the moment. You can get a fantastic image with a projector for £1000-1500 if you’re prepared to go second hand, but for what it costs new I think the Epson 9400 absolutely obliterates any near competition

Once an affordable 150'' TV is available which can do 3D, I'm leaving you guys with your projectors.

Until then, I'm team PJ.

Just wait until you have watched something in 3D on it James, that really does take projectors up to another level that the best TV can never achieve :)

Just wait until you have watched something in 3D on it James, that really does take projectors up to another level that the best TV can never achieve :)

Totally agreed.

I watched Wonder Woman in 3D, just the scene @ No man's land and in 3D.. its just mesmerising.

My last projector was a jvc x3 on a 92in beamax m screen. I currently have a 65inch old C9. I'm thinking of getting a projector again. Which screen do you have and what's your viewing environment? Thanks

I only have a BenQ W1080 that I got 2nd hand from a friend and even that was a game changer. The sheer size of the screen is just so engrossing compared to a TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom