Camping - Must be something good about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dman256, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dman256

dman256
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A couple of years ago I went on a weekend camping trip up in the lake district to a (cringe) Haven holiday camp site. I hated every minute of it. The weather was great but we couldnt get in the tent it was that hot. It took me about ten minutes before I went to sleep to get rid of all the bugs and flies out of the bedroom part (what if a spider got in my ear ? yuck :( ). I woke up at 2am with some lads kicking the sh** out of each other right outside the tent (Haven Holidays = urk ?!) So I didnt get much sleep. Then you have to go into the shower blocks which you just cringe having to stand in there with the grubby floor and urrgg just doesnt feel clean

My friend who loves camping is asking us all to get together in the summer again and go for a weekend

I feel I might be being too harsh on camping and there must be something about it I can look forward to ? Anyone into camping ?.....I guess I could always stop in the hotel down the road :)

2. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    You could always hire a Caravan :thumbsdow

I've been camping before once and only once and don't think i'd ever give it a go again for similar reasons.

(Kippin in the tent in the back garden aged 11 was fun though:D )

I just could not get used to the mud and grass everywhere and would opt for a B&B or Hotel anytime

3. Mickey G

Mickey G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Camping is not for everyone. We find it convenient because we have two dogs and it's nice to be able to take them.

Other people can ruin the experience. Brat kids, chavs and inconsiderate people.
    We had one guy near us who had a portable TV and devided to watch loud movies late at night.

Give it another try before giving up on it.

4. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Neither would I. I'd choose a trip to hell over one to a camp site. Probably less mud too.

5. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Depends on which sites you use and what time of year.

We go camping a lot, but have been to some nighmare campsites, unfortunately its trial and error!

6. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I'd rather be a taxi driver in Fallujah for 2 weeks than go to a Haven Park.
    And I mean that.

7. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Camping is best at festivals

Go watch bands all day, get back to your tent so twisted that you can just passout , get up, repeat.

I can't imagine camping in any kind of straight or sober state though :(

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Agreed. We've been camping twice in the last four years and it was great each time. However, both friends and relatives had been there before and recommended each site. One was the South of France, the other in Dorset, so there was no 'common factor' on locality.

Both however, had strict rules regarding acceptable behaviour, use of facilities, which were excellent each time, and although we were unlucky enough to be on the pitch next to 'hooray henry' and his loudmouth alkie 'chums' in Dorset, that was only for two days at the start.

Campings great in good weather, and when the tents are big enough for you too hide in while it's not, but small tents, families and poor facilities are a recipe for disaster.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    An accurate impression of my experience of camping
    [​IMG]

I'd rather clean oil off beaches than go again.

10. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've been camping many times in tents of all different varieties and every time I vow never to go again. Once when I was about 4, I sank in a pile of quicksand-esque mud at Flamingo Land. If nobody had been around to pull me out when I was more than waist-deep I would probably be dead. Another time I went in a pre-built tent in France which flooded during heavy rain. It was quite comical really having to quickly dig a trench around the tent (it only just worked).

Overall, I'd recommend it... :D

11. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Horses for courses really.

I've been camping all over the UK and some places in europe.

I prefer not staying at an established campsite and being somewhere out in the wilds.

Theres something special about waking up halfway up a mountain with no-one else around other than your trekking buddy and having a magnificent view.

Will be doing something this year involving a week long cycle ride and camping.

We will have a support vehicle for this one though!

12. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    if you are unsure whether to go camping or not, watch brokeback mountain and then make up your mind... :D

13. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad to say I've never been camping or stayed in a caravan, ever, and don't plan to :)
    Why stay in a crappy tent or a box on wheels when you can stay in a nice hotel or hire a house/apartment?

14. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The last time I went camping. We stayed at a commercial campsite near Newquay in Cornwall. The site facilities were top notch and we made regular use of the swimming pool. We stayed out of the club as it was a chav magnet so only really used the shop, pool and takeaway.

My thoughts and advice on camping:

We had a small 4 man tent that you couldn’t stand up in and became very claustrophobic during a thunderstorm! Think about the size of the tent I wouldn’t go again for more than a couple of days unless I had a much bigger tent.:)

Take plenty to do if the weather is bad and you haven’t got the money to sit in a pub for 8hrs then the one book and pack of playing cards you took with you are not going to last to long.:rolleyes:

Cooking on a gas stove and BBQ is all very exciting at first but how often do you eat food out of a can at home?

Obviously noise carries through canvas a lot easier so be prepared to hear your neighbours secrets, arguments and orgasms.:devil:

Worst thing about camping by far is having to get dressed to go to the toilet at 4am!:(

I think I will defiantly go camping again but the budget would have to include a bigger tent with room to stand up in, a collapsible table and more cooking equipment.
    Most of all enough money to eat at least one meal out a day and for evening entertainment such as getting blind drunk etc.:D

As it is though if you have all the basics the beauty of camping is you can just go on the spare of the moment without having very much money. We find it ideal for a long weekend break to grab the tent and surf boards and then just take off.:smashin:

15. dman256

dman256
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All good comments. I reckon I need some nice quiet camping site where Chavs havent found, with no onsite chav club and some nice clean facilities

I might try to persuade them to go to my folks caravan instead, they have a beauty one. Cost about £35k, has en suit bedrooms, shower, fuill fitted kitchen, sky TV, 3 piece suite and chairs, fire place, central heating.......thats more my kind of camping :thumbsup:

16. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    I love camping, trying to get the Mrs interested, it's nice to be outwith the comforts of home sometimes, make brekie and lunch at the tent fairly easy and drive into the nearest village for a bar meal for tea!

Use the onsite showers, read a book, take an Archos if you get real bored and if weather gets bad (which it does in Fort William) retreat to estate, fire the seats down and kip in there!

Can't wait!

Liam

17. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Yeah, But at Music festivals and the like , we are all usually so blaggered that we do just pass out on the grass, or crash out in the car.

NO CAMPING TENT NEEDED :clap:

18. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The secret is.....Correct equipment, which must include a large tent with plenty of storage space and room to retreat to in inclement weather. The correct site is also important.
    Festivals are not camping, They are one step down from sleeping rough on the streets of London....:eek:

19. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've enjoyed camping in the past, but it's all down to where you go. Don't bother doing it in England, as it's almost uniformly awful (in my own experience, obviously). Instead, go camping in Nepal as part of a trek. No chavs, and you get the experience of being the only people for miles around.

Where else can you stick your head out of a tent in the morning and "BOOM! Himalayas, right there, baby!"

So, to sum up - camping in England = mostly bad. Camping in Nepal, Peru, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Borneo, etc etc = great. Simple as that.

20. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    Indeed- these French gentlemen camping in the picturesque valley of Dien Bien Phu seem to be having a lovely time :clown:
    [​IMG]

21. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Ahem! Well, certainly, things have moved on somewhat.

Besides which, I've seen Apocalypse Now: Redux. That French family were still living there, even after getting walloped at Dien Bien Phu. Mind, they weren't really camping - they had a big old plantation house. :D

22. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Dale Winton enjoys it!!!!!!

23. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,596
    I couldn't agree more! Camping can be really good fun and very comfortable, but don't expect to keep the elements out with a £39.95 deal that includes the tent, sleeping bags, mats etc......

Especially with Children it is great....Sure I still hate the communal showers, that is bad.....But so are family rooms in hotels unless you have inter-connecting rooms...And in a hotel room where do you go when the kids have gone to sleep, go to bed by 20.30 yourself? No camping has got some really good points.....

But you can't beat a private villa with pool and ensuites for a long summer holiday or wintersport :D

24. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    You obviously haven't been in a modern caravan.Central heating,double glazed,digital TV,fully equipped kitchen,2 or 3 bedrooms with full size beds.I guarantee that the caravans we rent out would beat most hotel rooms under £100 a night.
    www.saundersfootbay.co.uk

25. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    depending on where you are, waking up to a fantastic view can make sleeping in a small tent with no comforts totally worth it. as can the whole experiance of cooking your food without modern technologies and sitting around a fire with really good mates.

also, everyone has to experiance having sex in a tent at some point of their lives. its absolutely hilarious. :rotfl: