Camping , do you ? Would you ?

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Thought I might give it ago :rolleyes: my parents use to take us away in our VW T2

Hated it ! So I thought it was time to put my kids through it and have bought a T5 facelift . Went looking at tents today , looks like we might go for a Outwell 6

Any other recommendations please ? :)

Saves getting a hotel at the next golf day!!

Closest I'd get!! :)

Many camp sites have electric hook up outlets for just a couple of quid more. You will have to buy the leads to connect to it.

Really worth having if you intend on taking tablet's and mobile's and the kids Nintendo's etc another great thing is being able use a electric pump on a airbed.

Is there a go outdoors outlet near you? well worth a mooch around a store as a starting point.

Last edited:
Many camp sites have electric hook up outlets for just a couple of quid more. You will have to buy the leads to connect to it.

Really worth having if you intend on taking tablet's and mobile's and the kids Nintendo's etc another great thing is being able use a electric pump on a airbed.

Is there a go outdoors outlet near you? well worth a mooch around a store as a starting point.

We went to " Go Outdoors" in Loughborough today , it's a minefield :)

I hate it.

The Wife and kids love it and I've been persuaded to go maybe 5 times in the last couple of years and each time it has been rubbish. The last time I went I got soaked to the skin putting up my tent, (which was tilted at a weird angle for the whole weekend because the wind was so damn strong while we pitched) and then I got soaked again putting up her friend's tent and to round off the weekend I got soaked putting it back down again.

I spent the whole weekend damp and miserable, not having sex and drinking lukewarm wine out of a plastic beaker while dreading having to take down the soggy tent and cram all the junk back in my car, all the time moaning about how it takes so bloody long to do anything, even something simple like making a crappy cup of instant coffee is a logistical nightmare.

Other highlights include the kids managing to puncture our airbed on the first night, Me outside in my underpants banging in tent pegs in the middle of the night in the howling wind and rain and when somebodies dog took a slash up the corner of the tent, I knew I was pretty much done with it.

The worst of it is, I was persuaded to come out of camping retirement for one night only about a month ago and I went down to meet the wife and kids where they were camping with her parents. I had a massive hayfever attack and then after freezing my nuts off all night I got manflu for a week afterwards.

I hate it.

The Wife and kids love it and I've been persuaded to go maybe 5 times in the last couple of years and each time it has been rubbish. The last time I went I got soaked to the skin putting up my tent, (which was tilted at a weird angle for the whole weekend because the wind was so damn strong while we pitched) and then I got soaked again putting up her friend's tent and to round off the weekend I got soaked putting it back down again.

I spent the whole weekend damp and miserable, not having sex and drinking lukewarm wine out of a plastic beaker while dreading having to take down the soggy tent and cram all the junk back in my car, all the time moaning about how it takes so bloody long to do anything, even something simple like making a crappy cup of instant coffee is a logistical nightmare.

Other highlights include the kids managing to puncture our airbed on the first night, Me outside in my underpants banging in tent pegs in the middle of the night in the howling wind and rain and when somebodies dog took a slash up the corner of the tent, I knew I was pretty much done with it.

The worst of it is, I was persuaded to come out of camping retirement for one night only about a month ago and I went down to meet the wife and kids where they were camping with her parents. I had a massive hayfever attack and then after freezing my nuts off all night I got manflu for a week afterwards.
So on a scale off 1 to 10 how would you rate your camping experience? :laugh:

My family love camping.
But there are so many types.
We first started out at Haven and Butlins type sites. Nothing wrong with them, but, well they do live up to their stereotype.
But then we discovered how much fun you can have on little sites. Our favourite camping holidays are when we find a little farm with a few pitches. The kids occupy themselves, you don't need a family disco and bingo night. Basic barbecue, camp fire, cards and board games. If I'm really lucky we have no mobile phone signal (bliss).

We have a folding camper, which is a cross between a trailer tent and a small caravan. Its got a canvas top, but solid beds and cooking / washing facilities. Easily put up, tows well behind our car, takes up hardly any room on our drive. So to us its a good compromise between a caravan (which I didn't want) and a tent (which my wife didn't want).

I hate it.

That about sums up all my memory's :laugh: hey ho

We went to " Go Outdoors" in Loughborough today , it's a minefield :)

Yep it can be but "Go Outdoors" is one of the few places that do a wide range of tents and other products to get a feel for it and some times they do some good special offers.

Some of the sites I have been to even offer free wifi if you can't be without it.

Love it

spend a lot of the time camping in the garden,but that's more to do with the misses chucking me out :D

I used to hate it too, but I think it's about having the right clothing and equipment.
I actually don't mind it know, and it does give you the opportunity to spend more than a short day in nice surroundings going for walks or doing some other outdoor activity.

It was a combination of my best mate and the lady of the house who persuaded me it try it again.

I now have a 6 man tent (which I only let a maximum of 4 sleep in) with a tall and wide living area where you can actually stand up straight, get changed easily, play games, store luggage and generally live quite comfortably.

Having a 'pop up' tent is useful too. Literally let it out of the bag and it springs into a tent.

Then you need a decent inflatable mattress, good sleeping bag, heater, stove, pots and & pans, lantern etc, and then it doesn't feel quite so bad.
Quick dry clothing, decent walking boots and thermals and your all set.

Once fully equipped the cost can mount up, but I'd now argue its a good investment as you can have some nice weekends away with very minimal cost.

In fact, we're going hiking next weekend and are camping out and I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

As a kid, I bloomin' hated it!!

I used to hate it too, but I think it's about having the right clothing and equipment.
I actually don't mind it know, and it does give you the opportunity to spend more than a short day in nice surroundings going for walks or doing some other outdoor activity.

It was a combination of my best mate and the lady of the house who persuaded me it try it again.

I now have a 6 man tent (which I only let a maximum of 4 sleep in) with a tall and wide living area where you can actually stand up straight, get changed easily, play games, store luggage and generally live quite comfortably.

Having a 'pop up' tent is useful too. Literally let it out of the bag and it springs into a tent.

Then you need a decent inflatable mattress, good sleeping bag, heater, stove, pots and & pans, lantern etc, and then it doesn't feel quite so bad.
Quick dry clothing, decent walking boots and thermals and your all set.

Once fully equipped the cost can mount up, but I'd now argue its a good investment as you can have some nice weekends away with very minimal cost.

In fact, we're going hiking next weekend and are camping out and I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

As a kid, I bloomin' hated it!!

With all that you might aswell be in a hotel :laugh:

When we go camping, it's always in a nice size tent with an inflatable matress and all tabs/electronic gadgets stay at home.

Does help that the GF's parents have a pop up trailer tent and use the plug ins to cook a proper breakfast in the mornings.

got to agree there buy bigger then the max sleeping guide. It's just me and the missus and we brought a 5 man tent in the real world tho it is good for up to 3.

also like Jules says a heater pot and pans make it comfortable. we have a cool box which plugs into the car 12v socket then plugs into our electric hook up once we get there which is very good for storing bacon and sausages for a few days we also take a george foreman's, kettle and toaster along with a portable gas stove.

I just get in in my shorts and t shirt.

No mod cons for me,my feet also stick outside the bottom of the tent :D

I hate it.
I spent the whole weekend damp and miserable, not having sex

You have never had tent sex?... Poor man.

With all the talk of erecting poles and hammering in pegs I though sex on camp was a given?

Camping is one of those things that you think is a good idea.

But there are a few hurdles...

I have to get all the stuff out of the shed. Drag it outside into the car and try and make it fit. Then drive stupid odd miles and drag it all out of the car and try and make sense of it. Find the missing bits and chastise the kids who continually say they are bored.

Only then do I get a break. The return trip is the same in reverse without the excitement.

But it is rather good fun. It makes you appreciate a good bed and mod cons.

Not entirely sure of the financial argument as it ain't cheap these days, but it can be spontaneous.

Happy memories abound and you soon forget the horror stories.

You have never had tent sex?... Poor man.

With all the talk of erecting poles and hammering in pegs I though sex on camp was a given?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I've never had tent sex, I did assist a lady with a tent erection at one of the early V festivals a few years back :smashin:.

Not entirely sure of the financial argument as it ain't cheap these days, but it can be spontaneous.

You're doing it wrong ;). We usually pay £12 or so a night including free electricity.

Hi All,

Man, I have had real bad luck camping - once in India when I had to "go" in the morning & one is forced to find a secluded spot - there I was responding to natures call when I a heard a strange rustling behind me & when I had finished & turned around noticed that a freaking Cobra was staring right up at me & could have bitten me badly in any one of my buttocks and/or my crown jewels!

Fast forward a couple of decades & there I am camping in the heavy woods of Northern Arizona & a remarkably similar situation but this time, I hear this god awful rattle & believe me - it literally scared the crap out of me as I happened to be "going" at the time - finished or not, I got the hell out of there as quick as I could which made for months of ridicule by my fellow campers as they witnessed me running for my life with my pants down & "my glory" in full sight for all to see! It was a freaking Rattlesnake I had no idea it was there!

I was very lucky as I could have been a real goner as in both cases we were too far away to get to help in time & no way I would have survived - just my luck - I can imagine what my obituary would say - "Poor Suave died recently from getting bit in the ass by a snake while taking a dump" - and you all think you have bad Karma!

I gave up camping after that have have never been since!

Suave!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom