Camper motorised satellite dish cant find signal

liamj2003

Standard Member
Hi all

My friend has an Oyster vision motorised dish on his camervan with a freesat receiver, it has recently stopped receiving a signal, When the dish is started up, it extends from its closed position and goes straight to the direction of the Astra 2 satellite, it stops and stays there, when he pushes the Mid zone button for europe on the control box its goes round and round going up and down slightly searching for the signal (during this process the freesat box does not receive any signal) it contines to go round with no signal found.

I put a satellite meter on it on the output of the control box (where it goes into the freesat receiver) and still no signal found, (the meter is on astra 28.2 and it just says searching on the meters screen)

I turn the dish off (its retracted) and i turned it back on, again its goes straight to the correct location in the sky and stays there, i then put my meter on the output again and the meter reads no signal.

I then went up on the roof of van, (dish still pointing towards the correct location) connected the meter directly onto the lnb, still no signal. I have tried changing the lnb, (but had to use a sky universal lnb - oval type) (the dish is round) but still no signal.

I have tried turning the dish on in many locations so line of sight is not the issue.
I imagine something is working correctly as the dish knows where to point as have turned it on in different locations.

I am all out of ideas, and havent managed to diagnose what part isnt working.

The setup is like this:

Motorised dish with single output lnb (Lo 9.75/10.60ghz) down to a control box in the cupboard of van, then outputs to a freesat receiver. The system I estimate to be at least 10 yrs old.

Many thanks in advance for you input.

Mark uk

How does it find the location?
Is it by the lnb or a compass?
If it is a compass then the lnb only probably does the final alignment, if thats the case the lnb might well be broken.
You could try substitution to eliminate the cause but the sat meter you have says no signal so it looks like lnb/cable corrosion is the cause.

1080 jawbreaker

i would just run a piece of new cable straight from the lnb to the reciever once the dish has aligned itself to eliminate those, if still no signal the dish is misaligned or the reciever has developed a fault

liamj2003

Standard Member
i would just run a piece of new cable straight from the lnb to the reciever once the dish has aligned itself to eliminate those, if still no signal the dish is misaligned or the reciever has developed a fault

OK, many thanks ill give that a try, Im guessing I will only have the option to run a new cable from the dish to the controller box before going to the freesat receiver as the dish needs the controller box to be able to align, Im unsure if it has a compass or not, is there a way to tell? is it common in an older system like this to have one built it?

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

Im unsure if it has a compass or not, is there a way to tell? is it common in an older system like this to have one built it?

What does it do when it starts & do you need to input anything.

liamj2003

Standard Member
What does it do when it starts & do you need to input anything.

no, you just press the power on button on controller box, the dish opens and swings round to the rough location, and the controller then usually needs the mid europe zone button pushing before it commences final adjustment, at this point, once pushed the dish just goes all over the place scanning the sky, and never finds a signal.

MartinPickering

Temporarily disconnect the motor power. Use a good quality meter and align the dish manually to make sure the LNB is working. When you've done that, report back and we'll consider the next step.

This is a £2500 system so you really don't want to mess with it if you don't understand it.

winston2010

So what satellite is it looking for in Europe mode? These setups are programmed to look for a certain transmission on the selected satellite. I know for a fact that some caravan setups can no longer find hotbird due to transmission changes. There are software updates to fix this from the manufacturers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom