Campaign to stop increase in beer tax

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Surely we can have no objectors here ? We must have a quorum ? The letter gets sent to your MP directly and all the wording is done for you.

http://mashbeertax.org/

karkus30 said:
Surely we can have no objectors here ?

I don't drink beer. So I abstain.

karkus30 said:
I don't drink at all, but I'm selfless in supporting those that do.

Lamppost :--)

Someone's got to pay for all these drunks that turn up at A&E every weekend. Alcohol is the main cause, so why not up the tax on beer to help pay for it.

Or am I :devil: advocate?

Someone's got to pay for all these drunks that turn up at A&E every weekend. Alcohol is the main cause, so why not up the tax on beer to help pay for it.

Or am I :devil: advocate?

Of course, no need to tax voluntary consumption, simply increase taxes on high earners instead.....

Of course, no need to tax voluntary consumption, simply increase taxes on high earners instead.....

Shhoory mate. Don't follow.

Let's get it devolved. Wales would never dare tax Skull Attack.

I'm just going to bung this in here because it is interesting, if true:

From: http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/27/britons-drinking-dangerously-alcohol-consumption

"Women, especially those on high incomes and those living in the south of England, are most likely to be binge drinkers, the study says, as are high earners generally and also those in deprived areas, for reasons that are not understood."

That's not to say I support taxation as a way regulating behaviour. I don't.

London has a heavy drinks after work culture, its much worth than say the North East for this where the drinking is concentrated mainly over the weekend.

A break down by region of these stats would be interesting, undoubtedly the highest of earners will be concentrated around London.

gazbarber said:
London has a heavy drinks after work culture, its much worth than say the North East for this where the drinking is concentrated mainly over the weekend.

A break down by region of these stats would be interesting, undoubtedly the highest of earners will be concentrated around London.

We can't afford it up here. Its considered a toffs drink these days. :)

We can't afford it up here. Its considered a toffs drink these days. :)
What white lightening? :D

At last a cause I can happily sign up!

Even though the meds mean I can't drink at the moment! :(

overkill said:
What white lightening? :D

At last a cause I can happily sign up!

Even though the meds mean I can't drink at the moment! :(

Its particularly good because you can cover the desk of your local MP in letters and you will receive a nicely typed reply with a port cullis on it. I like receiving those as I feel very important.

fluxo said:
That's not to say I support taxation as a way regulating behaviour. I don't.

I knew this was a good campaign. We have lots of micro breweries and independent pubs that are already suffering. A down turn in trade would probably finish them off.

Don't tax alcohol too highly, but charge people requiring NHS treatment for alcohol related injuries and illness. Simple.

Stop being a nanny state and be cruel to be kind once in a while.

Its particularly good because you can cover the desk of your local MP in letters and you will receive a nicely typed reply with a port cullis on it. I like receiving those as I feel very important.
Oh, I've got plenty of those already. ;) I get the distinct feeling they are monitoring such petitions nowadays, as the letters have a distinctly automated feel about them. "Thank for your letter concerning ________ you can rest assured that I too am worried by this issue and I will raise it on your behalf in the house" or words to that effect.

They've already sussed the whole online petition thing and moved on.

Which was the big danger of following the Americans lead by legislating to allow the biggest petitions to be turned into a Commons debate.

Beer is full of CO2 and we need to reduce that so children can breath clean air.

For that reason I'm out. ;)

Wild Weasel said:
Beer is full of CO2 and we need to reduce that so children can breath clean air.

For that reason I'm out. ;)

Very true. Campaign for flat drinks anybody ?

or tax the CO2 instead of the alcohol :)

a base rate of 20% for Real Ale after the first two pints, 40% on fizzy lagers and an eye wincing 60% for champagne ;) with the threat of a higher tier for anything costing over £100 a bottle. After all, if people can afford to drink it I'm sure they can afford to pay the extra tax on it :thumbsup: If not they can downsize to still cider.

Maybe I need to think this through a bit better :D perhaps we could just introduce an empty bottle tax

IronGiant said:
or tax the CO2 instead of the alcohol :)

a base rate of 20% for Real Ale after the first two pints, 40% on fizzy lagers and an eye wincing 60% for champagne ;) with the threat of a higher tier for anything costing over £100 a bottle. After all, if people can afford to drink it I'm sure they can afford to pay the extra tax on it :thumbsup: If not they can downsize to still cider.

But what about all those rotting apples contributing to Apple Made Global Warming ? I think possibly the banning of any yeast and sugar concoction and the taxing of penicillin. Oops and what about bread ? No wonder unleavened bread was popular, far less environmental impact. Beans as well, the function of producing copious methane on ingestion means they probably need blacklisting.

heavily increase the tax on people who add more tax ideas and the Do gooders

namuk said:
heavily increase the tax on people who add more tax ideas and the Do gooders

I used to run a rule like that. Those with bright ideas could be expected to find themselves leading the charge. Funny how quickly the ideas that had less commercial benefit dried up.

I'm all for more tax on alcohol. However, the method is wrong. Increase taxes on alcohol across the board. Implement meaningful minimum unit prices (that differ for beer/cider, spirits and wine). Maybe add a tax premium for alcohol sold between midnight and 8am (to hit the nightclubs and late night bars that are feeding A&Es around the country).

I'm actually not sure the beer duty increases have been that detrimental to the industry. Two local breweries have become very successful over the past five years. Both of them have been opening pubs while others are shutting, opening new breweries while others are going bust. They produce good beer and know how to run a pub. Around here the beer duty escalator, and smoking ban and the recession have just killed off the "locals" pubs (the ones where you walk in and get glared at because they don't know you) and the breweries producing tasteless rubbish. Personally, I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to good places to go for a drink or a meal now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom