Campaign request....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 1, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

As many of you know, Region 2 DVD's often don't come out when they say they will. Anyone who goes into a local DVD retailer on the high street, will often find that the title in question has been delayed, and often for stupid silly reasons, or simply due to idiocy on the distributor's behalf!

However, check ANY Region 1 list, and nearly 99% of titles, come out on or before their scheduled release dates.

Take a look at the R2 forthcoming list on pages 12 and 13 of issue 23 of "DVD Review" magazine (a great publication, I might add!), and you will see that less than half of the titles that should have been released by today , the 1st of April, still haven't come out. Has anyone actually got their mitts on titles like "Fellini's 8 1/2" or "The 9th Configuration"?! How about "Assault On Precinct 13", "North By Northwest" or "2001: A Space Odyssey"?! Nope... anyone? Didn't think so!

Anyone care to start a campaign, to get ALL R2 DVD companies to start giving us proper and realistic DVD release dates, instead of the garbage they feed us at the moment?!

Pooch

P.S. If you think I'm making a fuss over nothing, then look at the Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition farce! Region 1 got it around late-August 2000. Region 2 has had their date changed AGAIN (for the 3rd time) to October 2001, and it may not even have the Seamless Branching feature on it! Still think I'm making a fuss over nothing?!

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 01-04-2001).]

2. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This is even more of a reason to stick with R1 DVD's [​IMG]

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I certainly agree with Pooch, if the R2 market is to improve then it must match,if not better what is available on R1.

Things have started to improve recently,but labels like EIV and Paramount continue to take the p*ss.

So here is a question for Steve May,why not get in touch with all R2 producers of software,and also Hardware,and try to arrange either live chats,or something like the recent DTS questions. I think we are all mature enough to give constructive feedback,and i believe it is good public relations for the companies.I mean what better way to improve your product than listen to the real buying public...US!
    It would make a good topic for the magazine and we could even include the readers who dont come here by adding a section to the mag where questions can be sent in by snail mail.
    Just a suggestion(to add to the flash back idea from an old thread)
    What are your thoughts?

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've started a campaign 2 years ago - buy a region changeable machine and get R1 [​IMG] Fact is, the consumer doesn't have to put up with such bad treatment and in this age of e-commerce, we don't - users of this board vote with their credit card.

Personally, I don't see the point of wasting energy on R2 providers - they charge too much, give us shoddy service, etc. They would go out of business if it wasn't for all the unsuspecting R2 adopters [​IMG]

5. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ninth Configuration is in stock on play247.com. I've ordered mine, although not yet received it.
    I have now recieved this disc and it is excellent, featuring a good widescreen 2.35:1 print-sadly not anamorphic, director's commentary, featurette, deleted scenes including alternate ending and bios. Buy it !

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: wicky1 ]