1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camlink cine copying proble

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ron dark, Dec 15, 2001.

1. ron dark

ron dark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have borrowed a friend's Sony Hanycam Hi 8 camera to transfer all our old 8mm films to video.My problem is that although the pictures are sharp, all the highlights are "burnt out"-just peak white,with the appearanch of a worn TV tube.I have a 100 watt bulb in the projector, and have tried to redce the light output by varous means,without success.Using the Backlight control on the camera,or the Bright Beach/Snow setting is equally unsuccessful. Setting the exposure manally results in a picture that flicks on and off. I am at my wits end, and wonder if I need a Neutral Density filter to reduce the projector output. If you have any ideas, I will be eternally grateful,as my friend will want his camera back for Christmas!I should mention that the camlink is a device whereby you aim the projevtor from one side, and a mirror inside deflects the image to another window where you place the camera. Many thanks, Ron.

2. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done this many times - and have used the CamLink device a few times, too. I have to say that I don't get on with this unit. It seems to exaggerate the centre hot-spot too much and distorts the images, too.

I've resorted to the time-honoured technique of projecting from a distance a small image (approx 12 inches wide) onto very shiny white card placed on a wall. The slower frame rates of the projector (16fps and 18fps) can be a problem where flicker is concerned, but on one occasion lately I pushed the projector frame rate up to a full 24fps and then compensated in the editing program. It seemed to do the trick, with resulting images being much more acceptable (though never perfect) and less strobing than usual. You might need a bit of image tweaking in the software (if you're editing, that is).

Hope that helps.

Colin Barrett
    Freelance Contributor, "Camcorder User" and "What Camcorder" magazines.

3. ron dark

ron dark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions Colin I will use the projecting on to card method if all else fails.I purchased the Camlink Second Hand, wiith no instructions, so there may have been some advice on the problem there. I think the problem lies with the fact that the image is backlit, and this fools the metering system of the Handycam. I will investigate the possibility of replaceing the 100 watt bulb with a 50 watt version with the same base, if I can find an equivalent to the present A1/215 12volt 100 watt bulb. Once again, many thanks Colin . I don't like to be beaten, so if anyone else has any other ideas,please let me know. Ron