Cameroon vs Japan commentary

paul cliff

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody else getting annoyed with Mark Lawrenson on BBC at the moment, the miserable git sounds like he'd rather not be there, he even just moaned about how many re-plays we just had.

Hasn't said a good word all match, instead he keeps moaning about how broing it is, surely as a commentator he it's his job to try and make it as enjoyable to watch as possible?

Might just be me but I want to go and give him a slap at half time. :thumbsdow

To be fair to him he can't polish a turd.

This game is dire to put it mildly.

Paul, unfortunately it isn't just this one match, and it isn't just Mark Lawrenson - though he is by far the biggest offendor.

The commentary during some of the matches has been the only real negative during this tournament for me. I don't mind the vuvuzelas one bit, but listening to the likes of Lawrenson is as painful as it gets.

Such a shame to see supposedly-knowledgable commentators taking such a cynical and condescending tone toward other nations.

I really dislike the fact that teams who've earnt the right to be at the tournament are being described as inept and boring, and hate the fact that referees who aren't from Europe are being accused of lacking experience. And it's also about time we stopped making clever remarks about foreign names.

Saying that, some of the commentators and pundits are good, but the few pessimists are doing their best to ruin the experience.

The commentary during some of the matches has been the only real negative during this tournament for me. I don't mind the vuvuzelas one bit, but listening to the likes of Lawrenson is as painful as it gets.

I really dislike the fact that teams who've earnt the right to be at the tournament are being described as inept and boring, and hate the fact that referees who aren't from Europe are being accused of lacking experience. And it's also about time we stopped making clever remarks about foreign names.[/QUOTE

- The only negative? You for real. The tournament is very poor so far. There are loads of negatives, mostly the tactics employed by managers.

- OK so they qualified, but if they are poor you have to say it. No point in saying a team is great if they aren't.

I call it like it is. Do you want me to list all the so-called top sides who have been rubbish so far?

I don't mind commentators talking about teams being bad, some teams are bad, but to simply sit there making cynical jokes and comments without even trying to back them up with technical footballing reasons is not good enough.

There have been several comments so far in this game that have annoyed me, for example; they cut to a shot of the japanese manager and lawrenson made some 'funny' comment about him looking serious like he was 'walking through town to sell some shares.'

It's the fact he keeps making jokes as if he is some footballing god. Whenever Guy asks him a question relating to the match he gets a snidy comment back about how boring the game is.

It is a boring game, but come on.

I agree Mark Lawrenson acted like a right **** through the match with his comments. Fair enough it wasn't a match of the highest quality but the guy doesn't have to make smart arse comments at every opportunity. TBH much of the supporting commentary has been dire.

I've never liked his commentary or punditry (is that a word?). I can't stand it when he is giving his "expert" view post highlights on MOTD. Yawn.

Give me Jonathan Pearce anyday :thumbsup: He seems to liven up even the most boring of matches with his over-excitement at any little chance.

i've always thought that i'd like to hear some of the radio commentators like mike ingham, jon pearce, and even alan 'i hate man united' green doing TV commentary to see if they can bring the same enthusiasm to it as they have to on the radio. In a way it's like they've been looked over for promotion while ex footballers, who to be honest don't really have a particularly good insight into the game as a whole get all the cushy jobs.

Also, does anyone else think that the "colour commentator" as the Americans call them (the guy who chats rather than giving the play-by-play) should actually have some sort of link to the match? For my mind it'd be far more interesting having someone either involved with the teams in the match, or a team from their group giving their opinion on proceedings (language barrier permitting) than someone like Mark Lawrenson or Mick McCarthy.

Last edited:
The refs do lack experience from outside europe in big tournaments ,and yes the atmosphere is rubbish and the standard of football is carp.
All adds up to being the worst world cup ever so far..

The trick with a Lawrenson match (to make it bearable) is to listen out for the daftest comment.

E.g. France v Uruguay
"He's like a thrupenny bit - all edgy" (don't know who he was talking about).

I'm still waiting for the first "softly softly, catchee monkey" of this world cup.

Anybody else getting annoyed with Mark Lawrenson on BBC at the moment, the miserable git sounds like he'd rather not be there, he even just moaned about how many re-plays we just had.

Hasn't said a good word all match, instead he keeps moaning about how broing it is, surely as a commentator he it's his job to try and make it as enjoyable to watch as possible?

Might just be me but I want to go and give him a slap at half time. :thumbsdow

Agreed.

Regardless of whether its a good game or not he ought to remember who's paying his hotel bill....

I presume he thinks he is being ironic but he just comes across as an ignorant ****** who couldn't give a monkeys and would rather be somewhere else.

I think the referrees have been the biggest plus at this tournament especially the linesmen. Excellent performances, ok the odd dodgy decision (Cahill red card) but still shows the ineptitude of a lot of our domestic refs.

The commentaries have turned a tad filppant but when the matches are as poor as they have been then it's forgivable.

the pair of them kept promising the Italy game would be better, maybe they are just jealous that they got stuck with the Cameroon match :)

I don't mind Lawrenson so much, think he can be quite funny at times in a dry humour, dead-pan sort of way. But i admit, other times he just comes across as a bit of a cock!!

What annoys me most is the pundits in the studio's, Adebyeor, Keegan, Viera, Davids, all terrible. Surely they could have found some better pundits?!

Though I think Seedorf has been the best of the bunch so far on the BBC, anyone see it yesterday when he forgot the name of a (Italian?) player and was trying to find it on the team sheet and picked up the Dutch team sheet by mistake :D

Yes he sounds extremely boring as i said in a previous thread. We need an Andy Gray type commentater, even he makes the boring games a little more exciting to watch/listen to.

Not a hope. Thats the last thing we need. Hate Andy Gray.

I don't mind Lawrenson so much, think he can be quite funny at times in a dry humour, dead-pan sort of way. But i admit, other times he just comes across as a bit of a cock!!

What annoys me most is the pundits in the studio's, Adebyeor, Keegan, Viera, Davids, all terrible. Surely they could have found some better pundits?!

Though I think Seedorf has been the best of the bunch so far on the BBC, anyone see it yesterday when he forgot the name of a (Italian?) player and was trying to find it on the team sheet and picked up the Dutch team sheet by mistake :D

I agree the pundits are terrible, and frankly, Adebyeor should come with subtitles, cant understand a word he says,

Missed the thing with Seedorf but I did think he was ok.

Martin Keown wasn't too bad this morning commentating, quite enjoyed the New Zealand game!

I think the likes of Edgar Davids, Desailly, Seedorf and Klinsmann have been generally good, and interesting to listen to. Maybe because we don't hear them too much but still they seem to offerslightly different insights probably because they know more about international football than the usual lot who know nothing but the epl, and know nothing but defence. :rolleyes:

I like Adrian Chiles but he seems to come across as just a regular footy fan worried about England lol, asking Edgar Davids annoying questions!

For me there is none better then motty!

Talking of Football punditry...World Cup 2010: ITV sacks Robbie Earle for breaking ticket regulations | Football | guardian.co.uk :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hate Motson especially when he does that little chuckle to himself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom