Cameron threatens Brixit over EU President

• Thread starter Deleted member 585609
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 585609

Apparently Cameron has warned that Britain may quit the EU if Luxembourg ex-PM Jean-Claude Juncker becomes the new president of the EU Commission. He is meant to have said that he could bring forward hie EU referendum plans.

BBC News - Cameron warned UK might quit EU over president - Spiegel

Personally I think this is just a fluff piece and him trying to "handle" the UKIP situation by showing he is tough with the EU.

He has no intention of bringing forward his plans.

Agreed, it seems like a convenient and opportunistic attempt to win back core support.

I tend to think Merkel will call Cameron's bluff, especially If the Germans are for Juncker then game over for this lame ploy from Cameron. If we stay in the EU, then if we want to change anything then we have to get the Germans on board. And if we leave the EU we need to maintain a good relationship with them. This is why I want an EU Referendum no more than a year after the General Election, the sooner we resolve the issue the better. Cameron is too scared/weak to go for it and I very much doubt he'll deliver one after the next election as I doubt the Tories will be in Government if things continue as they are at present.
All Waiting until 2017 will do is create more bickering and we won't get a properly reasoned debate on the issue where both sides can put their cases forth and then we the Electorate get to decide.

Tis like they don't want to entrust the public with the power to shape our collective destiny.

I hope Merkel does call his bluff, which should see him go red in the face and do nothing... showing everyone that we cannot trust him to stick to his word on Europe.

Exactly!. Lets see Juncker get to job and see what Cameron does next.

Surely his little ploy flies in the face of democracy? The majority of Europeans want this guy and Cameron tries to bully his way into getting someone else. How does that ever count as democratic? If you don't like Europe, fine. Leave. But to try and get your way like this flies in the face of everything he supposedly stands for.

I hope Merkel does call his bluff, which should see him go red in the face and do nothing... showing everyone that we cannot trust him to stick to his word on Europe.

How would he be breaking his word?

He promised rebates and did nothing, he promised to bring down net immigration to the 10'000's yet it has gone up, he will do nothing about this because he is a toothless noob.

I suppose he wouldn't be directly breaking his word, as all he has given is a threat... But it would be him again setting out his intentions, then doing the opposite...

I know he and everyone else says he couldn't give an in/out referendum this term because the Lib Dems wouldn't allow him, well they allowed him to scrap the 50p tax rate which the lib dems where meant to be against... if he felt as strongly for an in/out referendum, enough to make it a cast iron guarantee, then he would have fought harder to have it in the coalition agreement. It is all just talk. Trying to hush public concern over Europe.

He and his government have already made countless U turns and broken promises.

He broke a cast iron guarantee, anyone who thinks he would follow through with something he didn't even promise is mad!

He is hoping that he can play the role of big man Dave, making threats and being tough with Europe and people will drop UKIP for the Conservatives because they clearly mean business! He is deluded.

The majority of Europeans want this guy
Says who?

Seriously when most people vote for one party do they know they are actually voting for a different pan european one, and that they are in effect voting for a 'leader'. I would be staggered if more than 1% thought that.

BTW without looking it up, what are the names of the other candidates.

For bonus points which EU block/party are each part of.

Finally for super bonus points, who would you have to vote for to get each of these in the UK and/or France(being thats where you are)?

He promised rebates and did nothing, he promised to bring down net immigration to the 10'000's yet it has gone up, he will do nothing about this because he is a toothless noob.

"Promised"?

I'm sure you can provide links to back that up?

In any case, he has not given his word that he will bring the referendum forward.

Says who?

Seriously when most people vote for one party do they know they are actually voting for a different pan european one, and that they are in effect voting for a 'leader'. I would be staggered if more than 1% thought that.

BTW without looking it up, what are the names of the other candidates.

For bonus points which EU block/party are each part of.

Finally for super bonus points, who would you have to vote for to get each of these in the UK and/or France(being thats where you are)?

Surely that's a macrocosm of councils, EU elections, UK general elections and Leadership appointments.

When people voted at the last general election did they know they were voting for a coalition ?
It's always a possibility, but it's not exactly advertised who will partner up with whom if it happens.
Some cities, counties and areas of the country may elect a majority of representatives of one party but at a national level another party wins overall.
Some parties only field candidates in specific regions such as the SNP, Plaid Cymru, UKIP etc.
They may win and have strong holds in their regions, but have no real effect on the nation or sometimes the reverse, where they have disproportionate impacts to their demographic or geographic scale.

Whats your point?

Surely everything I said still stands, you don't without a fair bit of research know what you're actually voting for.

Can you answer any of the questions of the top of your head, you did vote right?

Whats your point?

Surely everything I said still stands, you don't without a fair bit of research know what you're actually voting for.

Can you answer any of the questions of the top of your head, you did vote right?

My point ?
That your comments on the voting blocks/leaders with regards to the EU could be ascribed to the last general election in the UK or the regular business in the House of Commons.

A large number of voters in the UK don't know half of what is any parties manifesto if pushed to comment.

If your comments are in some way intended as a reason to leave the EU in terms of representation, knowing who you are voting for, what they stand for and who is going to run things, it seems rather flat considering we have a coalition government with a Prime minister, deputy prime minister and a cabinet that no majority voted in.

But at least you knew what party they actually stood for!

Sadly what politicians do when they are voted in are different things, but the coalition has not done as bad as Tony, with a strong mandate he still introduced student fees when he said he wouldn't and back peddled on giving an EU referendum.

You are confusing the issues though, maybe deliberately? When you vote for a lib dem MP you get a lib dem MP and they have a leader i.e. Nick Clegg at the point of voting. When you vote lib dem in the EU elections what MEP are you getting who is there leader in the EU parliament, what do they stand for (the MEP, the party, the leader) in Europe?

The fact that there is no mandate to an individual party with a full mandate in the UK parliament still doesn't affect who you vote for as you seem to be trying to conflate.

Any chance of a guess on those questions?

Tis like they don't want to entrust the public with the power to shape our collective destiny.

Absolutely.

Personally, I think the powers that be think a great deal of the population are as thick as 2 short planks.

Are they afraid of the people voting out? Do they know something that we don't? Will we be catapulted back to the stone age with a No to EU vote:D

I'd like to see Referendums on all key issues (like the Swiss) but can never see it happening for the reasons above.

Exactly!. Lets see Juncker get to job and see what Cameron does next.

Probably spout a load more hot air:rolleyes:

I wonder how much of our tax was paid to the British Brainwashing Corporation to publish that propaganda article.

Blair stalking the job methinks -
BBC News - Wanted: New president of Europe

The most interesting bit in that is Merkel is not indifferent to Cameron's concerns but she's working to get Mr Juncker the job. So I think Merkel is going to call the UK's bluff and force the issue of an in/out vote out of Cameron. The sooner we resolve the issue the sooner the EU member states can start to reform the EU, with or without us.

Apparently she's not keen on Juncker but her party is, so is using Cameron to get what she wants (win win for her), probably told the Italians to get in on it too.

Holland apparently wants a frenchie in to show that they still have sway in the EU.

This guy is probably getting more attention now than when he was PM. He's apparently been a PM for near two decades while also being a key figure in much of EU centralisation/federalised dream, a busy guy.

I don't know much about the EU commission presidential election process, so when do we find out who gets the job?

Apparently the council need to choose within a month, and the parliament agree, if not then it would go around again.

May be quite entertaining.

So the French do protest votes better than the Brits. Something else to add to the list of things the UK is no good at.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom