Cameras which can take Pro-Duo memory - Worth it?

chaz206

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok People, basically i had a wonderfull Sony T10 camera which my old man water damaged

Now ive got 2 x 4gb memory cards for this which work fine.

What i really want help with is, is it worth it to get a cam that will take this memory specifically for my dad so not to expensive. OR just get any decent camera and use a diff mem card so these will just become useless now

Also either way could i get some recommendations for different types of cameras please

Cheers, all

I think that you'll be hard pushed to find a Compact that still takes full sized Pro-Duo sticks TBH - the current models in the "T Series" all seem to use Micro SD or Micro Duo...

Depending on your budget I'd suggest either the TF1 from sony or the TX30 (more expensive) as it looks like "pocketability" is quite important if you had a T10 origibally.

Jim

To be honest memory cards are so cheap these days I'd just go for whichever camera you want and buy a new memory card. You can get class 10 8gb SD cards for a little over a fiver :smashin:

As for a new camera, it all depends on what you want, pocketability, zoom, manual control etc etc?

I think that you'll be hard pushed to find a Compact that still takes full sized Pro-Duo sticks TBH - the current models in the "T Series" all seem to use Micro SD or Micro Duo...

Depending on your budget I'd suggest either the TF1 from sony or the TX30 (more expensive) as it looks like "pocketability" is quite important if you had a T10 origibally.

Jim

I know mate thats what i found after i posted on here.

I was looking at the new t series range but specs wise they are not that good as they used to be and looks like the nikon, fuji and panasonic ranges might be better overall

To be honest memory cards are so cheap these days I'd just go for whichever camera you want and buy a new memory card. You can get class 10 8gb SD cards for a little over a fiver :smashin:

As for a new camera, it all depends on what you want, pocketability, zoom, manual control etc etc?

I know mate, but sods law is that i need the camera and mem card this week and most places do take longer to deliver

But you are right no point in going for a crap camera just because it has the same mem card

NOWWWW people, please help me find a decent sized camera with good pic quality that doesnt cost the earth

And where else should i look, pc world, jessops??

cheers

I know mate thats what i found after i posted on here.

I was looking at the new t series range but specs wise they are not that good as they used to be and looks like the nikon, fuji and panasonic ranges might be better overall

I know mate, but sods law is that i need the camera and mem card this week and most places do take longer to deliver

But you are right no point in going for a crap camera just because it has the same mem card

NOWWWW people, please help me find a decent sized camera with good pic quality that doesnt cost the earth

And where else should i look, pc world, jessops??

cheers

I would order from Amazon, usually the cheapest and can get next day delivery, plus you get a no quibble returns policy if you're not happy. If you do want to buy from store then any local camera shop such as London Camera exchange, PC World, Jessops etc.

As for the camera it's very difficult to recommend as you've not told us what you need, i.e. does it need to fit in your pocket, do you want a long zoom, do you want manual control, do you want facebook connectivity etc?

Personally if I was going to buy a compact camera I would by the Sony HX50 due to it still being small enough to fit in your pocket (albeit far from the smallest camera out there), but has a whopping 30x optical zoom and very good picture quality (for a compact). It also has basic manual control should you wish to use it, 2 auto settings, numerous scene settings, panoramic, and full HD video.
Sony DSCHX50 Compact Digital Camera - Black 3 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

or only a tenner more at PC world
Deals | Free Delivery | Pcworld

Panasonic do some nice TZ series compacts for £200-250 that have really good picture quality too, and good macro capabilities (see Shotokan's snail pic on post #403 here http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/1753724-macro-close-up-thread-part-6-a-14.html), but 'only' have 20x optical zoom.

Then there's the nikon coolpix range, but for me it would be either the sony or the Panasonic.

If you want more manual control then you've got bridge cameras. More bulky, still pretty light though and offer much better manual control. Image quality is the same as compacts. The 3 I'd choose from would be the Sony HX300, Canon SX50 HS, and Panasonic FZ200. The Panasonic is the most expensive but has a constant aperture of f2.8 which is fantastic.

All take SD cards. I'd only go for class 10 or faster SD cards.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I would order from Amazon, usually the cheapest and can get next day delivery, plus you get a no quibble returns policy if you're not happy. If you do want to buy from store then any local camera shop such as London Camera exchange, PC World, Jessops etc.

As for the camera it's very difficult to recommend as you've not told us what you need, i.e. does it need to fit in your pocket, do you want a long zoom, do you want manual control, do you want facebook connectivity etc?

Personally if I was going to buy a compact camera I would by the Sony HX50 due to it still being small enough to fit in your pocket (albeit far from the smallest camera out there), but has a whopping 30x optical zoom and very good picture quality (for a compact). It also has basic manual control should you wish to use it, 2 auto settings, numerous scene settings, panoramic, and full HD video.
Sony DSCHX50 Compact Digital Camera - Black 3 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

or only a tenner more at PC world
Deals | Free Delivery | Pcworld

Panasonic do some nice TZ series compacts for £200-250 that have really good picture quality too, and good macro capabilities (see Shotokan's snail pic on post #403 here http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/1753724-macro-close-up-thread-part-6-a-14.html), but 'only' have 20x optical zoom.

Then there's the nikon coolpix range, but for me it would be either the sony or the Panasonic.

If you want more manual control then you've got bridge cameras. More bulky, still pretty light though and offer much better manual control. Image quality is the same as compacts. The 3 I'd choose from would be the Sony HX300, Canon SX50 HS, and Panasonic FZ200. The Panasonic is the most expensive but has a constant aperture of f2.8 which is fantastic.

All take SD cards. I'd only go for class 10 or faster SD cards.

Sorry about that mate i should have said before

Budget wise as its going to be mainly used by parents i dont want to spend to much probably max of about £100-£125 ish. obviously cheaper the better

Now im not expecting the world with that type of budget but 1 with a high optical zoom would be good, as ive got my galaxy s4 for my own pics

No need for things like wi-fi or anything either, maybe just ease of use and really nice quality of pics

Ive sort of narrowed the choices down to the following:

1) Canon Ixus 510 HS -, Really nice small size but i couldnt see the picture quality as the camera was dead at the time. Lowest Pixel wise compared to the others but highest optical zoom

CANON IXUS 510 HS Advanced Compact Digital Camera - Black Deals | Pcworld

2) Panasonic Z23, A Bit bigger in size than the Canon, but i think over all it was the best of the bunch in terms of pic quality but it might have been because of the different location in which i took a pic of

PANASONIC Lumix DMC-SZ3 Advanced Compact Digital Camera - Black Deals | Pcworld

3) Nikon Coolpix S3400, highest pixel count and good ish size, i think a good all rounder but the picture quality wasnt anything spectacular

NIKON Coolpix S3400 Compact Digital Camera - Black Deals | Pcworld

4) Canon Powershot SX160, dont know much about this but might also be a good option, 16 megapixels, and 16 optical zoom
Only bad thing is maybe the size looks a bit to big (but cant confirm this)

Buy Canon Powershot SX160 16x Zoom Compact Camera - Black at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Compact digital cameras.

So there you are people, there in lies my confusion

any help appreciated all

thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Unfortunately I have no experience with any of those so can't offer much assistance. Usually though I've found that for a particular budget they're all pretty similar in terms of IQ so it all comes down to preference about size, zoom and functions.

Cheers mate I wish my budget could stretch that far but at the mo it can't
Plus on top of that I still need to buy a mem card

As the cameras not going to be used that much, maybe a few times a month if that I'd rather spend a max of £100 or even lower if poss

Ok people update on this

In the end went for the canon poweshot sx160

From the intial pics i took the images were very good, will report back when i see the pic from the holiday

cheers, all

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom