Camera with wide angle to record sport

raven219

Hi.

Entering a world that is alien to me so to turning the experts!

My daughter is starting her GCSE PE so we have to record her playing sport. Her main sport is field hockey. So I am after some advice on what to buy. I am thinking that I would like to turn up, attach the camera to the railing or fence surrounding the pitch, hit record and leave it. Obviously the device would need to be wide angle so I can record as much of the pitch as possible.

Any advice at what I should be looking at? Budget wise probably looking to spend up to a couple of hundred.

Many thanks

Terfyn

My money would go on a conventional camcorder with a wide angle add on lens. My own combination of a Panasonic HC-V800 and a Neewer 0.45x add on lens works well.
The downside is that a wide angle lens works like a reversed telescope and pushes the players further away so often makes play difficult to see.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You will see virtually nothing I'm afraid. Even using a 4K camera and doing a bit of digital zoom a hockey pitch is a huge space to try and cover with a wide angle lens from ground level.

Set and forget just won't really work for you unless you can get some height - 30' or so. If you can get a reasonably rigid tall support, then that's a possibility and the shot will be much more usable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom