Camera suggestions - already know roughly what I want!

WiZe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a camera for my parents and an upcoming holiday. Budget is up to £250.

They are both ex-SLR owners, so should be okay with using the thing!

I've already given it some thought and discussed various form factor options, and they don't want a DSLR due to price, weight and size.

Therefore I've been looking at bridge/superzoom cameras and compacts.

I'm leaning towards a bridge camera, because if possible it would have:

1: Electronic viewfinder - Both for familiarity of composing shots, increased stability when composing shots, and easy usage in bright conditions

2: Manual zoom on the lens - Again for control, and not having to use a useless little zoom in/out control like on their previous compact camera.

I know there are cameras out there with the above, but finding a good one is a challenge.
Anything from the last 3 ish years should be fine.

Only image quality matters really for 'normal' camera usage. Megapixels, video recording, other fancy features etc don't matter.

Also, not expecting DSLR image quality of course, especially in low light with their tiny sensors, so it's more something within these constraints.

Does anyone have any suggestions..? Would greatly appreciate it! Don't mind second hand either, but would prefer new of course.

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a camera for my parents and an upcoming holiday. Budget is up to £250.

They are both ex-SLR owners, so should be okay with using the thing!

I've already given it some thought and discussed various form factor options, and they don't want a DSLR due to price, weight and size.

Therefore I've been looking at bridge/superzoom cameras and compacts.

I'm leaning towards a bridge camera, because if possible it would have:

1: Electronic viewfinder - Both for familiarity of composing shots, increased stability when composing shots, and easy usage in bright conditions

2: Manual zoom on the lens - Again for control, and not having to use a useless little zoom in/out control like on their previous compact camera.

I know there are cameras out there with the above, but finding a good one is a challenge.
Anything from the last 3 ish years should be fine.

Only image quality matters really for 'normal' camera usage. Megapixels, video recording, other fancy features etc don't matter.

Also, not expecting DSLR image quality of course, especially in low light with their tiny sensors, so it's more something within these constraints.

Does anyone have any suggestions..? Would greatly appreciate it! Don't mind second hand either, but would prefer new of course.

I recently bought a Sony HX300 and for a Bridge it is excellent IMO. However I have just sold it again as I found what I really wanted was a DSLR :facepalm:

This has an EVF, and whilst it doesn't have a full manual zoom, there is a lens ring that can be used for either zoom or manual focus. When using it as a zoom it's still using the motor that the little switch button on top does, but it gives you that familiar feel if you're used to a DSLR. Obviously it's not quite as accurate as a manual zoom.

There's a fujifilm that has full manual zoom, but I'm not sure if it's got a EVF or not.

Thanks for the responses both.

Jammyb, the problem with the zoom is that ideally want a reasonable telephoto range of zoom (150mm+ 35mm format equivalent), as for using it travelling it needs to be pretty versatile.

And while I know lots of compacts have that, I'm not sure the increased shake from holding it away from your body and difficulty of using the LCD to compose makes up for it?

Current cameras I'm considering are:
Panasonic Lumix FZ62
Canon SX40S
Fujifilm HS30EXR
Sony HX200V

I am open to compacts in the same price range if the image quality is a worthwhile increase, although only if they have a sufficient zoom range

Thanks for the responses both.

Jammyb, the problem with the zoom is that ideally want a reasonable telephoto range of zoom (150mm+ 35mm format equivalent), as for using it travelling it needs to be pretty versatile.

And while I know lots of compacts have that, I'm not sure the increased shake from holding it away from your body and difficulty of using the LCD to compose makes up for it?

Current cameras I'm considering are:
Panasonic Lumix FZ62
Canon SX40S
Fujifilm HS30EXR
Sony HX200V

I am open to compacts in the same price range if the image quality is a worthwhile increase, although only if they have a sufficient zoom range

If you want to go compact, the Sony HX50 takes very good photos, has a 30x optical zoom (720mm equivalent) and image stabilisation that can handle it very well. It does have quite a bit of manual control but it's not as easy to access as a bridge, ie you have to go into the menu system.

Hi,

I actually have a Canon SX50 HS for sale with Canon Case. If its of any interest let me know and I could put it on the Classifieds Section.

Hardly been used ( my mum prefers Fuji ).

Mike.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom