Camera positioning (front elevation)

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by arachnoid, Sep 3, 2017.

1. arachnoid

arachnoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I purchased a new camera (Dahua) with adjustable lens to use it to decide on positioning of cameras around the house/plot. At the front of the house there is a driveway (approx. 20m) and a small lawn adjacent and a hedge where the lawn borders the pavement. The camera is in a temporary position below the upstairs bedroom window (approx. 3.5m) on the side of the house.

I've used software to mask coverage out of boundary where possible (e.g. neighbour's driveway which is adjacent to mine). The mask covers the top of the hedge blocking out traffic on the far side of the road. If I mask the nearside of the road (bottom of the driveway) I would not be able to view/record any cars stopping there. If I unmask then there is a lot of recording due to passing traffic.

What have you done in a similar situation?

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,755
    I don’t know what you’d mean by mask....My camera(s) allow me to indicate where I want the motion to be detected opposed to where I don’t want it to be detected...

Make it smaller so it only covers the bit where the cars stop...But ultimately it sounds like you need more than one camera to get the appropriate cover.

3. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Quite right @arachnoid that's a good technique. You're not allowed to record footage of other people's property without their conscent and certainly not a public area. But you also want to ensure your videos are of high enough quality that you can recognise faces in most conditions.

So a combination of masking and motion trigger zones is a good technique. The question that might need a little more legal clarification is: is that legal being that you would have the technical ability to change this configuration at any time?

4. arachnoid

arachnoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your replies. By masking I mean blocking out coverage of areas not on my property. So the resulting image is an odd patchwork shape.

The issue I have is that masking the boundary I would only record a persons feet as they encroached on my driveway. Due to camera angles they would need to be half way up the drive before their face is on video. I guess that is not an issue provided their visit is legitimate. But if someone were to try and open a car at the bottom of the drive, I'd not be able to record their face.

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,755
    Do you have any outside lighting? Would say a secondary camera like the floodlight based Netatmo Presence or the other one by Ring be able to be mounted lower and in a different location and provide you with that coverage?