1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera in the sub £200 bracket

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by hebawom, May 3, 2005.

1. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a look through this forum and I don't think many of you have a camera in the sub 200 pound bracket!! But, I thought I'd ask for advice all the same :smashin:

Anyway, I've been looking at reviews for the 2 new nikon cameras the 5900 and 7900 - are these any good?
    Basically my current archaic camera (Fugifilm something or other 2.1 MP) is very poor at reproducing the colours and in particular blacks - everything is grey. Also, its often produces dull pictures.

Any suggestions will be most welcome :thumbsup:

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Panasonic FZ-3 :) Search these forums for views etc.

Mike.

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I bought a Panasonic FZ3 after it was reccomended on this forum. It was on offer from a couple of venders for £199. It "only" has 3.1MP but unless you want to print larger than A4 this should be sufficient. The real highlight of this camera is it's 12x optical zoom and leica lense (less need for cropping in photoshop). It also can be be used at F2.8 throughout the zoom range. If you can live with 3.1MP then at this price you will struggle to find a better camera.

4. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to have been discontinued by Panasonic, and there are very few shops that are still stocking it. Where did you buy yours from?

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Yip just checked digistor where I got mine from and they no longer have them.

7. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, is it the FZ5 now then? A little more expensive, but looks good - huge lens!! Does anyone have this camera?

8. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
  9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A4 is simply too big for 3.2mp you stand that up to say something like the the ixus 700 and you'll see in the print right away. You get 10x8 but start going to A4 you'll notice

fz3 is a fine camera no doubt about it but that mp is a limiter and having had a 10x 3.2mp zoom i know still that cropping can be a life saver and 3.mp does just not give you enough breething space. I'd personally pay the extra and get the Z5 or Z20

10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Yeah the fz5 is one hell of a camera. It is quite bulky though if that is something to take into consideration (might not be very handy to take to party's/weddings etc.).
    Depends on what you want really, the FZ3, 5, 20 are very good cameras and most people see them as a stepping stone to a digital SLR. They have a lot of manual controls and great lenses but the downside is they are bigger than your average compact. If you just want a simple point and shoot camera and are not really intersted in learning photography then I am sure there are better cameras out there for your needs. What are you wanting to do with the camera. What type of photography will you be using it for?

11. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    OK, so would I, I admit it, I want a 5MP FZ5!! Are you happy? You have made a grown man cry!! LOL.
    You are probably right, I am happy with my A4 prints and have compared them to A4 prints taken on my dads 5MP Kodak and not noticed the difference but I am sure there would be a difference between the FZ3 and FZ5.

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That all depends on the person, what one person needs can be very different from another. He highlighed what he was after and from that it was obvious he wanted something at least 5mp

If somebody higlights that they're looking at cameras round the 7 mp mark, i'd not point them to 3.mp no more then i'd have told him to get a 7mp if he wanted the Z3

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic are leading the way with there super zooms right now it has to be said.

Actually our pal never spoke of wanting a super zoom:laugh:

14. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for any confusion caused, I just thought that because they had a large MP count and were in my price range and were new that they might be a good choice. I know nothing about digital cameras.
    Actually, I thought the more megapixels your camera had, the better pictures it took, so this has been an interesting thread for me!!
    I'll be using my camera for everything. Days out, holidays, christmas, weddings - everything!!

Is the FZ5 really too big? 12 times zoom would be really nice, but actually having a need for it????

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These things are subjective i carry about at least 5lb in weight and i take my camera everywhere with me so no i dont think the z20 is too big not by a long shot.

But you may well think it's too big, you'd have to go to see it your self. It's very important how a camera feels to you, and no big mp does not make a good camera it can be part of the make-up of a good camera but it's not the only story

Go and check it out for yourself, i'd also tell you to look at some compacts like the Sony W1 and some of the canon ixus range which are much smaller and you may prefer those. But i'd have the Z20 everytime over them, but then you're not me so you need to go and try them out.

16. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    There may be some very good deals in the near future on the FZ20. Discontinuation is sometimes a very good thing :)

Mike.