Camera for a kid

B

braehead

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a camera for a 5 year old. My daughter loves taking pictures with my camera but I want one that's a bit more robust / rugged and with bigger buttons. My ex bought her a Fisher Price one but the picture quality is rubbish for what it cost. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bought my 6 year old a Canon Powershot A460 (£68ish from Amazon, similar or possibly cheaper now elsewhere) for Christmas. I deliberately avoided the Fisher Price and the really cheap Vivitar/Praktikas as I though it better to get something with reasonable image quality, even if it cost a bit more.....

Image quality is pretty good, 4x optical zoom, 2 AA batteries - life seems pretty good so far, 2" LCD and optical viewfinder. Seems pretty well built (obviously the higher end models are better). Easy to use, with either completely auto, or limited "manual" controls (adjust ISO, WB etc), plus some "scene" modes. For the money I'm impressed, though it's "robustness" hasn't been tested yet....:) Comes in silver, (pinky)red, and blue if that's important, too.

Drawbacks (I'm being picky here really and I don't suppose a child would notice, mine hasn't) - LCD resolution/refresh is low, flash recycling is slow, noise could be better controlled at ISO 200/400, and movie mode is 15fps VGA at best.

I'm sure others will come up with more specific recommendations (e.g. second hand) in due course.....

HTH.

Amazon have the Samsung S630 for £50, any good? I know my daughter would like the red Canon though!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom