Camera Buying Guide

EricJan007

Standard Member
Great Thread ! yes, basic understanding of making pictures is important, sensor size ? it depends what your output media format will be, just web, or high quality to enlarge or make partly selections from one picture (high resolution) i think the type of camera is very important, if you want to have camera at hand any time, (compact camera) "size matters" if you want to use a wide variarity of glass/lenses, a MFT camera would be a good choice also for making videos at some times, do you need a camera that will focus fast ? dual pixel is a fast technique for that, do you want to expand to a rig ? if the're options for the camera you have in mind, that would be great, will the camera accept fast(er) memory cards? in SD or Compact Flash format ? does the camera take pictures in RAW format ? i believe there are even compact cameras that will do this, finding youtube examples how to use a camera can be helpfull.
A camera that will have customizeable buttons ? is also worth looking for.
Does a/this camera have an option to add a handgrip battery pack ?(if the camera is power hungry)
These are some of the things i learned in due time, a camera choice will be based on the type of "work" and one's person "taste"
My choice went for a Lumix G7 which i think is a camera with a lot of options, for a reasonable price even more on eBay, because it's already an older model, also like to explore the the options of my smartphone in different situations, for the case of: the best camera is the one you got with you.

12harry

Distinguished Member
A useful guide for sure, - but usually folks buying their first camera will be blown-away by the range on offer.... so they may plump for the one their friends suggest ( probably a good choice) -OR- which gets most positive on-line Reviews ( which may be less truthful?).

I guess it comes down to PRICE . . . . for a youngster's first camera a "compact" is reasonably safe... Provided it's protected against bumps, in a case? They may tire of photography, so below £100 is easily good-enough to kick-start any creativity.
+ For "sports-recording" there are plenty of so-called Action Cameras - which will record video strapped to the Helmet (or Handlebars, Mast, etc.), with the advantage they should be reasonably waterproof. The Market-leader Go-Pro is expensive, but "look-a-likes" abound, starting below £50. Apart from "Action" they have limited appeal IMHO.

In general you will ( for the major Names) "Get what you pay for" - yet a good "Bridge" Camera is hard to beat, in terms of performance ((( So you can build-up a library of good pictures (memories) from times gone by)). Where they score less is their bulky size and limited battery capacity, as the battery-space is limited by the historic shape of (film) SLRs, where battery-power didn't need to support a screen backlight. This is a design-flaw IMHO.... sticking to the old-shape for no good reason, esp. as most cameras offer image stabalising.
However, if folks include Video as a "must-have" then things get trickier.....
FWIW - I just bought a camcorder which takes SDXC cards ( best price/capacity), and boasts 25MPx in Stills-mode. Obviously its Movie-Modes are quite extensive...but for £400 it should be - and able to record any holiday-break; once COVID-19 is sent packing.
If one can afford the Holiday-Break, then with a little Skill, a suitable camera permits re-living the highlights. Another feature is, Audio recording - to give atmosphere to movies. -OR- Stills projected as a "Presentation" which is also worth the effort, having trundled round landscapes and other "touristy" things.

Cheers.

Last edited:

snerkler

A useful guide for sure, - but usually folks buying their first camera will be blown-away by the range on offer.... so they may plump for the one their friends suggest ( probably a good choice) -OR- which gets most positive on-line Reviews ( which may be less truthful?).

I guess it comes down to PRICE . . . . for a youngster's first camera a "compact" is reasonably safe... Provided it's protected against bumps, in a case? They may tire of photography, so below £100 is easily good-enough to kick-start any creativity.
+ For "sports-recording" there are plenty of so-called Action Cameras - which will record video strapped to the Helmet (or Handlebars, Mast, etc.), with the advantage they should be reasonably waterproof. The Market-leader Go-Pro is expensive, but "look-a-likes" abound, starting below £50. Apart from "Action" they have limited appeal IMHO.

In general you will ( for the major Names) "Get what you pay for" - yet a good "Bridge" Camera is hard to beat, in terms of performance ((( So you can build-up a library of good pictures (memories) from times gone by)). Where they score less is their bulky size and limited battery capacity, as the battery-space is limited by the historic shape of (film) SLRs, where battery-power didn't need to support a screen backlight. This is a design-flaw IMHO.... sticking to the old-shape for no good reason, esp. as most cameras offer image stabalising.
However, if folks include Video as a "must-have" then things get trickier.....
FWIW - I just bought a camcorder which takes SDXC cards ( best price/capacity), and boasts 25MPx in Stills-mode. Obviously its Movie-Modes are quite extensive...but for £400 it should be - and able to record any holiday-break; once COVID-19 is sent packing.
If one can afford the Holiday-Break, then with a little Skill, a suitable camera permits re-living the highlights. Another feature is, Audio recording - to give atmosphere to movies. -OR- Stills projected as a "Presentation" which is also worth the effort, having trundled round landscapes and other "touristy" things.

Cheers.
Most bridge cameras will suffer noticeably in terms if image quality compared to a DSLR or APS-C/FF mirrorless as the sensor size is no bigger than a consumer compact. Might not be an issue for some, however worth pointing out that bridge cameras are NOT hard to beat in terms of IQ :smashin:

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Most bridge cameras will suffer noticeably in terms if image quality compared to a DSLR or APS-C/FF mirrorless as the sensor size if no bigger than a consumer compact. Might not be an issue for some, however worth pointing out that bridge cameras are NOT hard to beat in terms of IQ :smashin:

...especially in low/poor lighting conditions

brad123

Hi all, I take drone footage for aerial videos and photos but want to take some more better ground shots. At the moment I use my iPhone 12 with a DJI Gimbal. Ideally I want to further down the line use it for indoor videos too maybe on a Gimbal so one that can do that, feel free to recommend a Gimbal too for it, not too expensive. Would like it to do good sound too incase I use it for interviews or video blogs etc and a nice optical zoom would be nice, or option to add extra lenses too to add zoom. Any recommendations please.

luckypig

Standard Member
the guide is good! is there any similar guide here on mobile cameras? many people select phone based on the camera megapixels. what else we should look on mobile phone cameras?

snerkler

the guide is good! is there any similar guide here on mobile cameras? many people select phone based on the camera megapixels. what else we should look on mobile phone cameras?
Mobiles all have similar sized sensors and so image quality is going to be similar. MP help if you want to print large or crop heavily but small sensors don't like to be cropped heavily.

Mobiles are now using software to improve image quality and give certain looks such as blurred backgrounds but at present they are still no substitute for the real thing. That being said for insta and the like mobile phones are more than adequate.

luckypig

Standard Member
Mobiles all have similar sized sensors and so image quality is going to be similar. MP help if you want to print large or crop heavily but small sensors don't like to be cropped heavily.

Mobiles are now using software to improve image quality and give certain looks such as blurred backgrounds but at present they are still no substitute for the real thing. That being said for insta and the like mobile phones are more than adequate.
yeah I see that they are using software and sometimes is hard for me to edit them later.ouffff

snerkler

yeah I see that they are using software and sometimes is hard for me to edit them later.ouffff
Some do allow you to use the raw files now :smashin: iPhones for example use (or are going to use) a special kind of raw files that keeps all the software edits (such as fake blur) but have all the data to work with. Sounds good.

luckypig

Standard Member
Some do allow you to use the raw files now :smashin: iPhones for example use (or are going to use) a special kind of raw files that keeps all the software edits (such as fake blur) but have all the data to work with. Sounds good.
im using the samsung note 20 and it has a function that resembles the professional camera settings. however I am not so good in using all this settings since I am not a pro...I need to practise moreeeeee

snerkler

im using the samsung note 20 and it has a function that resembles the professional camera settings. however I am not so good in using all this settings since I am not a pro...I need to practise moreeeeee
Don't need to be a pro, very few pros (if any) on here :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom