1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera advice for Novices

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by nunew33, Mar 24, 2003.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    1. Choosing the right camera – Things to consider
    Its important to realise there is no best camera and recommendations should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are many cameras available and most have points of merit. So it’s important to ensure that you get the camera that suits “you” best. It may come down to preferring the looks of the camera rather than performance and this is valid criteria if its important to you. Things to consider:

a) Creative Functions: Ok you may not want to fiddle now. But would you be interested in learning? If you are then you should make sure the camera has Aperture priority, shutter priority and Manual modes. These expand your ability to be creative (for example the choice to deliberately under expose to get a silhouette, or to choose how water looks - either drops or a misty flow)

b) Are you a technophobe? If you are then look at Kodak easyshare sytems where you simply put the camera in a docking station and everything is automated (no messing behind the PC with a USB cable other than when you set up)

c) What are you using the camera for? If its email or the web then a 1-2 megapixel is fine. If its 6X4 - prints then 1-2 megapixels is fine. If its for larger prints then 3-4 megapixel is needed.

d) How much disc space do I have? If your PC is old then getting a high megapixel camera may fill your hard disk quicker than you think. Work on 1 Megapixel being 500K jpeg, 2 megapixel as a 1Mb Jpeg, 4 megapixel as a 2Mb jpeg, size will vary depending on what has been pictured.

e) Factor in the cost of extra memory what you get with the camera normally only takes 8 full res pictures (you tend to get more memory for high resolution cameras) look at www.scan.co.uk and www.komplett.co.uk for cheap memory

f) consider battery life. Proprietary batteries are expensive (eg £30 for same manufacturer £20 for a clone) Get AA based camera if you can these are cheap and easily obtained if you are stuck without power, they also come as rechargeables). Most batteries last about 2hours or a days worth of snaps. Cost in an extra battery!

g) consider size. Small cameras may seem appealing but small = compromise on lens, batteries and memory cards

h) consider ability to add filters and lenses if needed

i) digital vs optical zoom. Optical zoom :smashin: Digital zoom? Basically i dont know why they advertise digital zoom as any software photo retouch package can do this, in fact they most probably have better interpolation algorithms, so basically dont place any importance on digital zoom.

2. Checking reviews

Check out the site of which these are the official forums : www.digitalphotouser.co.uk

3. Getting the best price
    Check
    uk.pricerunner.com

Get the best price here. Jessops do a net price match all you need is a print out of the price and a telephone number to check it (and Jessops do 9 months interest free). Camera needs to be uk stock and in stock at the dealer whose price you want them to match. Correct Feb 2003 – please let us now if this is no longer the case.

4. Good sites for accessories
    Memory
    www.scan.co.uk (look for todayonly offers)
    www.komplett.co.uk

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one nunew33

Just to add two of my favourite websites:

www.ephotozine.com - UK based, friendly forums, picture galleries, competitions and much more!

www.retouchpro.com - US based, forums and galleries - hints, tips tutorials, challenges for digital image manipulation.

Collin

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Another forum with lots of info for Canon owners is
    CANON DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM

The homepage is http://photography-on-the.net/

Not quite as much bandwidth as dpreview, which is a good thing.

There have been some bargains in the marketplace forum :)

The moderator Pekka has some Excellent photoshop actions for download.

Mark.

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Another very busy forum for those with the Canon Powershot range is http://www.powershot-a.com/

It is worth taking a look through the archives as most things about these cameras have already been covered well.

5. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Someone recommended

http://www.valuemedia.co.uk

for Digital Camera memory. Prices are very good, despatch is quick and P&P is quite reasonable. Havent had to return anything so dont know what they are like on that side of things.

6. warik

warik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind, I would like to add more resource about photography and digital camera with Indonesian language:
    http://www.kamera-digital.com

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More information than you ever wanted to know, including reviews of older models you might get secondhand:

www.dpreview.com/reviews

8. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I came across this site recently - it splits the webpage in two down the middle and then lets you compare sample photos for two different cameras - a huge list of cameras to choose from.

The Imaging Resource Comparometer

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM

This facility really helped me choose my last camera.

The parent site http://www.imaging-resource.com is also a good place for reviews etc

9. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    ive written a little about m experience with digital camera's on my website http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk

also a useful site for pricing up cameras if your gonna buy them off the net is www.cameras.co.uk it gives a great database of cheapest prices for a given camera which is really useful

edit: changed the link so it pointed to the correct site

10. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Really useful thread nunew33 ... shows there is still some life in Lytham :clap:

However, Jessops don't always price match, against 'net or street shops. I've found cheaper items elsewhere and they've not been able to match. I am a hard nosed bargain hunter and so these alternative prices where very, very attractive tho'. For more regular prices they will match.

11. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very usefull thanks

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. sizer

sizer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use ephotozine, another similar good site is http://www.photosig.com Very similar but you get many more comments on your photos which has helped me improve somewhat.

14. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Jessops on Deansgate in Manchester wouldn't match the price for my latest camera, not because of the dealer or stock origin, but simply because they said that they couldn't go that low. Wildings across the road went to a much lower price, though not quite a price match, and were much more pleasant/personal to deal with.

Wildings

15. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok most of the info here seems to be links so I thought I would add some information I have gained by trawling numerous websites.

But first a link fro beginners in DSLR photography;
    Cannon enjoy DSLR

Aperture;
    Low 'f' number then bigger aperture, more light to sensor and smaller depth of field.
    High 'f' number then smaller aperture, less light to sensor and longer depth of field.

Lower aperture for low light or blur effect, higher aperture for bright or fast action.

Making the shutter speed greater (ok faster) than the current focal length being used will usually avoid camera shake.

i.e. Focal length of 55mm, using a shutter speed of 1/60 or above should remove camera shake.

This was information I had to look all over the place for and probably seems like pretty noddy stuff to the more experienced but having this to hand a couple of weeks ago would have made the journey a little easier :D .