Camcorders With Wireless Remotes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by 1ofaKind, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I am looking for a camcorder that can taken decent size stills, decent performance overall. Its initial use will be on a cruise (so indoor low light shots) and also outdoor shots (coming into New York etc..). Stills performance needs to be good as no seperate digi cam will be taken.

The reason for the remote is that the user has a damaged right hand and has no use of their thumb. So as I've seen most camcorders are held in the right hand and have the record button accessed by thumb.

So what I'm after is a wireless remote so this can be used to start/stop the camera etc..

I've been looking at JVC GRX5,Sony DCR-PC1000 and Panasonic GS400. My budget is probably max of around £850

Cheers

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    AFAIK most if not all camcorders are supplied with an IR remote. The problem with these however is that the IR receiver is normally on the front of the cam, and therefore may not pick up the signal from remote if both units are held by the same person.
    IMO you would be better getting a wired remote. Jessops did a fairly cheap one, but I've just searched their site and can't find it. All they had were dedicated remotes for Canon & Panasonic camcorders, but they are expensive.
    Might be worth you doing a bit of searching, but just make sure the wired remote matches any camcorder you have as I know Sony and a few others use Lanc control, but other companies use different connection methods.

Mark.

3. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've seen a panasonic GS200 that comes supplied with a very small wired remote that includes a microphone in the top. It looks a bit like a fat pen. The buttons on the side are marked for record, zoom and talk.

Have a look at these models.

-Neil

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some Canon camcorders have two IR ports for remote operation, one on the back and one at the front. This was certainly true in the 90's when I had an E60, a standard 8 machine with dodgy AF as it was through an external sensor and not TTL, but the remote worked at almost any angle.
    If the wired remote isn't an option, go to Canon's website and have a look at the online pdf's of the manuals.