1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorders and Customs ..xrays harmful to equipment?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by richx_uk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. richx_uk

richx_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all, im going to be off in a few week to switzerland and then italy stright after with a handfull of friend as an end of college/A level celebration.

ive recently bought a MiniDV Camcorder, and am thinking about going through customs with the equipment in my hand luggage.

do any of you know if the xray will harm the camcorder itself (like the CCD chip), or the tapes, or where i can find this out?

ive looked around on the internet, but there seem to be contrasting ideas, best to be safe. :)

many thanks

richx_uk

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've lost count of the number of times I've carried camcorder, tape and accessories through various X-ray machines around the world (some a bit antiquainted) over the last 10 years or so and have never ever had any sort of problem with the equipment afterwards.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I'll second what Beejaycee has said.
    My camcorder is always in my handluggage and therefore goes through the x-ray and my tapes have always played afterwards. I have never heard of the x-ray affecting the camcorder itself.
    The only thing I've ever heard of getting damaged by the x-ray is camera film, although I've also never had any problems with this either.

Mark.

4. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about the swabs that they use at the airport to wipe over stuff? Last time I flew the security officer wanted to open the DV camera and swab inside it. I'm ok with them doing the outside, but was none to keen on them swabbing inside my camcorder.

I fully appreciate they have to check, but am never too happy about the repeated use of what must be some form of chemical. Does anyone here know anything about that side of things?

5. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always carry films & tapes in a pocket on my person to be safe although sometimes I "Bleep" & then everything has to come out of my pockets anyway! I do worry about my camera's going through x-ray machines but there does not seem to be any way round it except do not fly. Ferry ports do not have this problem.

6. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon a mobile phone has a greater chance of doing any damage. I wouldn't worry.

Still, as said i would keep the tapes in your pocket.