1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder with Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Andy_H, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Andy_H

Andy_H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new camcorder with progressive scan to replace my JVC GR-DVX9 which has now died after a close inspection with the ground. It must have AV-IN for a bullet camera, DV-OUT for editing and be relatively compact.

Any Ideas upto £1000

Andy

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As if by magic a shop keeper appeared... and he was holding a Sony PC330.
    Though when he read the manual he noticed it was 'progressive recording mode' is this the same thing?
    This is the extract from the manual; (reproduced without anybodies permission!! :devil: ) 'In normal TV broadcast, the screen is divided into 2 finer fields and these are displayed in turn, every 1/50 of a second. Thus, the actual picture displayed in an instant covers only half of the apparent picture area. In progressive recording, the picture recorded in this mode appears clearer, but a moving subject may appear awkward.' :lesson:
    I've no idea what's all that about!! :clown:

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Same goes for my Sony VX2100. Turn on Progressive and everything looks very jerky, like the shutter speed has gone up. So I've never used it since and leave it off.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Yep, same with my Sony TRV-900e.

I think the progressive mode is mainly meant to be used for takeing still shots to give the picture a higher resolution (I think thats what it says in my manual). I have taken a few trial video shots with it on and the movement is very jumpy with fast movement, but no too bad if fairly slow.

Mark.