Camcorder With 16:9 Capability

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Kevo, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Are there any domestic camcoders that have true Anamorphic 16:9 recording capability (NOT the el cheapo cropped letterbox format that I believe some camcorders use).

With the growing popularity of 16:9 TVs, then shouldn't all camcorders in the near future have this option?

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There are currently none with a true 16:9 CCD, most offer 'anamorphic' 16:9 but the resolution is reduced. True 16:9 cameras are still in the 'pro' domain as far as I'm aware, costing around £20k last time a I checked.

I have the Sony TRV20 and tried the 16:9 mode, but went back to 4:3 as the results were noticeably worse.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Yep I looked round for one with real 16x9 CCDs and at those prices 16mm film was more economical.

The alternative approach is to buy an anamorphic lens attachment. That way you can use the whole 4x3 CCDs to capture your image. It will appear distorted in the viewfinder though (solution is to use a small field monitor with a 16x9 squish on it or just get used to working in squishland). Bear in mind that as these things are only correct in the x-axis if you rotate the lens say to pull focus for example it will incorrectly distort the image. I'm still looking for one that has a mount of some kind to stop it rotating,

<a href="http://www.optexint.com/digivid/anamorph.htm" target="_blank">http://www.optexint.com/digivid/anamorph.htm</a>

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Thanks for the info, just as I thought, they aren't available (yet?).

But what when 16:9 becomes the norm?<br />Surely they will have to implement true 16:9 CCDs with a widescreen LCD monitor at an affordable price.

Martin, I'm with you.<br />If this is going to be the 'TV Standard', then I would want my camcorder to be the same.

[ 24-08-2001: Message edited by: Kevo ]</p>

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I want a 16x9 DV camera, or I won't buy one.