Camcorder Wide Angle Lense

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by gruffalo, Jan 5, 2007.

1. gruffalo

gruffalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently bought Panasonic GS180, thanks to help from Redsox_mark and others. I'm quite pleased with the performance so far over christmas:thumbsup: but didn't manage to buy a wide angle lense yet and have resolved to do so.
    Anyone have any experience of the two types, clip on or threaded? Is the threaded worth the £50, or is the clip on adequate at £20. I've only been able to try the threaded so far.

Thanks guys

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm no expert on lenses... but I would say the quality of the lens itself, and the conversion "factor" (e.g. 0.6X, 0.3X) is more important than the connection method. You can find cheap screw-on lenses and more expensive clip on ones. The quality of the glass, the quality of the coating, all impact the quality of the video you will get.

3. gruffalo

gruffalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark
    still haven't managed to try the clip on - store yet.
    will investigate further. I think the manufacturer was raynox (?) for both and I was thinking 0.5x.
    will see what I can find out
    thanks again for your advice
    MArtin

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I tried a Raynox 0.5 Convertor last year and suffered from Vignetting as a result ( could see the sides of the convertor when looking through viewfinder ).
    The convertor was not a direct fit to lens , ie 37 to 37mm but adapted by way of step up/down rings what it comes with.
    I found the best results going for a higher quality convertor with a direct screw fit ( no step up/down ring ).
    As I have 2 Sony Camcorders I went with Sony lens and sources them much cheaper via ebay.
    Found some distortion below 0.6 factor so have kept with 0.7 for my HC1E and 0.6 for my SR90.

5. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dang and blast! I'd just written a reply and was about to post it when the computer decided to reboot. Is it too much to ask EDF Energy for electricity that actually works in Felixstowe?! :rolleyes:

I've just done a couple of shots with the Panasonic NV-GS180, one on its own and the other with the Raynox Insta-Wide clip-on 0.7x wide angle conversion lens (QC-707) (£20 from Jessops I think?). The still shots are at: http://www.felix2.co.uk/widelens/

0.7x seems to make enough of a difference for filming in small rooms, or in tight spaces outside. I think mostly you wouldn't notice any significant distortion, although there's obviously a slight 'fish-eye' effect, most noticeable on the edge of the conservatory roof at the bottom of the wide-angle shot. Image quality looks fine (I've checked it on the telly too), including round the edges (no vignetting). Good luck with your decision!

6. gruffalo

gruffalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks lurcher and felix2 (also for the photos).
    don't know where the last week's gone - still have made into a store to try out the lenses. luckily GS180 has 37mm lense so no converter required but the quality of felix2's photos looks ok so might just save the cash and buy cheaper. Ebay also a good idea - I actually hadn't thought of that

thanks again guys, input appreciated.
    Martin