Camcorder videos to DVD or hard drive

ryank92

Novice Member
Hey I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I have came across a good number of my old camcorder tapes that I'd like to restore and not lose. Is there any way that I can convert these to either a DVD or a Hard Drive?
Any help and tips would be appreciated :)

Thank you

SHIELD Agency

Novice Member
  • Does the camcorder still exist? Not all tapes play in all devices.
  • If the camcorder does exist - is it
    • analoge (VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, Video-8, Hi-8) or
    • digital (Mini-DV, HDV, Micro-MV) ?
Analoge signals can be captured with any Analoge->USB capture device, found on Amazon or a proper PC store. Digital have analoge output too, but keeping digital quality would be better. Current PCs have rarely IEEE1394/FireWire connectors for digital video. But Desktop/Tower models can be equipped with such a card. For Notebooks, there is no digital solution any more today.

Depending on the amount of tapes it might be better to find some small video company, capable of converting analoge + digital tapes to MP4 files. Optical discs may fail in some years. So better have them on your hard-drive + have a backup hard-drive (for all important data).

MarkE19

Welcome to the forum @ryank92 :hiya:

@SHIELD Agency has basically covered all the main angles on the conversion. Also the storage is far more reliable if on an external HDD (for taking to friends/family to show the recordings) than optical discs. I have seen a DVD go from brand new and playing to only useful as a coffee cup coaster in minutes once a young child or pet gets hold of them.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom