1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder Upgrade???

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by acanning, Jul 21, 2003.

1. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

I have a Panasonic NV-DS77 MiniDV Camcorder which I purchased about 5 years ago for around £1200. It is in need of a clean-up and a repair to the view-finder but otherwise works ok. I am considering upgrading to a more modern model such as a Panasonic NVGS70B or the NVMX500B on the assumption that I would get better quality footage. These models both have 3 CCD’s (whatever that means?) which presumably helps with the quality but I’m not sure. I’m not interested in their ability to take digital stills as I have a separate camera to do that.

Has the quality of camcorders improved much over the last five years or am I better off just getting my existing camera repaired.

I shoot your average family type footage which I then edit through Premiere and save onto DVD.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As with most things electrical they have gotten smaller, lighter and cheaper! As for better quality, well not always.

Upgrade or repair?
    Well if you upgrade you will get a new 1 year (or longer) guarentee and it will look nice and shinny :D
    How much will it cost to repair? If it is only going to be £50 - £100ish then a repair will probably be good value. If there are lots of little problems and perhaps features that you would like, but are not on your old camcorder then an upgrade would obviously be an advantage.

Repair - something else could go wrong the next day, but is probably cheaper
    New - 1 years peace of mind, spend a lot more money.

It is really down to how much the repair will cost as to weather it is worth it.

Mark.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For the serious DV shooter, a three-CCD model is a virtual imperative. The color separation process in single-chip cameras is simply too convoluted and imprecise to achieve professional-grade images. Single-CCD models are cheaper to manu-facture and typically sell for much less than a similar-feature three-chip model, but single-chip cameras have an inherent disadvantage: The red, green, and blue sensors are merged into a single, oversized supersensor on the pickup surface.

Three-CCD models, on the other hand, utilize a prism situated behind the lens to divert the red, green, and blue image components to their respective CCD targets. The result is discrete RGB channels that can be more precisely manipulated.

The CCD (Charged-coupled device) is the heart of the DV camera. In general, the greater the density of pixels in a CCD, the higher the resolution achievable in a camera system.

4. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies Guys.

Can I therefore assume that I will notice a difference if I go for one of these models with three CCD's or is it overkill for general family footage. I am less concerned about the size of the camera as they all seem to be fairly small nowdays.

I could ask a shop for this advice but they would probably tell me to upgrade. I'm hoping that someone else has already done a comparison.

Of course, I could get my existing camera repaired but it doesn't seem as exciting somehow!!!

Cheers

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I went from a single CCD Panasonic to a 3 CCD Sony. Big difference ?...Yes to me.

If it's worth only you can decide. I'm happy with mine & won't be upgrading again soon. (Well I say that about everything !!!)

I use mine for family & friends memories of special days, edit with Vegas Video , Encode with Canopus Procoder then to DVD with any number of authoring programs I have.