1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder to RAM to -R question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Johndm, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Doing some experimenting with new DV camcorder..:smashin:

So I copy from camcorder to Panasonic E60 with a Firewire, to a RAM disc. All fine so far!

Now, if I then put the RAM disc into my RA82 player, and edit down back to the E60 onto -R via SCART connection, does this transfer remain digital?

Would the ultimate quality be achieved by editing direct to -R from the camcorder?

regards

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A scart is an analogue connection, therefore the signal is analogue, and therefore there is loss of quality.
    Yes, IMHO if you record directly to a DVD-R you will get a better quality recording. How much better depends on the quality of the equipment and cables.

Mark.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    So would it be better to transfer from camcorder to PC via firewire, edit then burn to -R with the computer?

If so, which editing software would you recommend?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, thats the way I do it.

Editing software is largely down to choice and budget. I use Adobe Premiere, but that is far more powerful than most people (icluding me) will ever need. The favorite here seems to be Pinnacle Studio 9. This is a complete package that will do everything from capture all the way through to burning a DVD.

Mark.