1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder to laptop/firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mulderstu, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mulderstu

mulderstu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sony DCR-TRV255E camcorder and a dell laptop, with a 1394 connection at the back. I have tried to count the pins on each of them, but not sure if i am correct. I think there is 4 pins on laptop and 5 on the camcorder. But this cannot be correct as i have not seen any firewire cables that accomadate this! They are both roughly the same size but slightly a differant shape.

Any ideas of what cable i need? :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Camcorders will always have a 4 pin firewire port. The laptop will 99% of the time also have a 4 pin port.
    The additional 2 pins are used for supplying power to low powered external PC periferals.

Mark.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you need a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable.

Firewire connectors only come in 4 pin or 6 pin

4 pins are used for digital camcorders and other portable applications - like standalone DVD players, *most* laptops also use the 4 pin connection.

6 pin are used on PC's where the two additional pins *may* be needed for power output.

edit - I really must learn to type faster

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    :D