1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dennis Leighton, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Camcorder to DVD
    Hi All,

I asked a question similar to that which I am posing now sometime ago but as a non-techie 'Silver Surfer' I need it spelling out again just so that I know what I should be looking for. I get so confused with DVD CD'rs etc., I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and a great number of VHS tapes which I would like to put on to disc. What DVD will allow me to record to disc I have tried to do this via my P.C. but got hopelessly confused. Alternatively is there any Shop (such as Jessops) which would allow a demonstration.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    My apologies for having posted this earlier in the incorrect Forum i.eDigital cameras etc.

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will either need a camcorder with analogue in ports (composite or maybe even SVHS - depending on your video player) or a Video Editing package with an analogue board. You will need to connect your video player to the analogue in ports (on your camcorder or the analogue board) and stream your videos across (on the camcorder you just select record, on the PC you will need some video capturing software). If you used the camcorder then you will need to use the camera's DV Out port to connect to your PC's firewire port (you might have to purchase a firewire board, although they are becoming increasingly more common on new motherboards or soundcards). You can then use an editing package to capture to your PC's hard drive from the camcorder and edit as required.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Then once you've edited , enocode to MPEG , author to DVD Video files & burn to DVD

You can get some packages that take you all the way through that or you can buy individual programs for each bit.

You can do it all for a relatively small outlay or you could spend more than it would cost you to get a new car (very easily..;) )

Though from looking at your question again it looks like you don't fancy the PC route, you want to output to DVD on stand alone recorder?

I do it all via PC & don't use a stand alone recorder. If you do it that way sure you could record your VHS to DVD but you wouldn't get the flexibility that a PC offers with menus etc. You are proabably best looking in the "DVD Recorders & Media" section if that is what you want.

As I say don't own one myself but if I was going to buy it would probably be a Panasonic HDD/DVD combo model.

4. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Torrent,
    Many thanks for your prompt reply. From what you say it would appear to be better to go via the P.C. I do have a Firewire. I only have AV out on my Digital 8 so it would seem that I should capture to the hard drive and then edit and title before copying on disc. Does that sound correct? Can I capture say 30 minutes of video on a C drive showing 33.5GB free space? Do forgive me if my questions show an abysmal lack of knowledge.
    Many thanks.

5. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mny thanks Vonhosen. It does seem that the P.C. route is going to be the answer - it is only a question of me mastering it!!! I do have a cheap editing outfit installed so it must be wiser to persevere with that in the first instance. This Forum is so helpful I am sure no-one would mind if I kept coming back!!

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    The chances are that your PC capture card is only firewire (digital) and therefore you will not be able to capture from an analogue VCR.
    The cheapest way to add an analogue capture device is via USB2.0. These cost around £50 from ebuyer etc. but you will need to also add USB2.0 to your PC if it does not already have it as USB1.1 will not work with these devices.

You say you have 30Gb free. This will be enough to capture over an hour of video.

Mark.

7. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks Mark et all,

It is beginning to make sense to me now. I had no idea what I could do with 30GB!!

8. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can you recommend for capturing analog 8mm footage from old camcorder. PC does not currently have any video capture card, but does have USB 1.1 -
    what solutions are available?
    What is the best resolution I can get?
    What is cost likely to be?
    Would it be cheaper t go straight to stand alone DVD recorder with HDD or DVD-RAM?

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Cheapest way to capture analogue video will be to get a USB2.0 PCI card (~£15) and then a USB2.0 analogue capture device from the likes of Belkin, Pinnacle, Dazzle etc (~£40).
    The above should be supplied with simple software so around £50 should be all you need to spend to get going. All the above prices are from online retailers such as Ebuyer etc.
    The resolution should be the same as the origional 8mm footage with very little loss of quality, but it is analogue so there will be some loss.
    A DVD burner for the PC with basic software will cost from under £100, so total cost to add to an existing PC will be under £150 but a standalone DVD recorder will cost £200+. Going the PC route is more complicated to learn and will take longer to create a disk, but it gives you far more control on menus, editing etc and gives cheaper upgrades as you want to get more advanced. A standalone unit only has the option to be sold and start again from scratch when you want to upgrade.

Mark.