Camcorder that transfers direct to DVD recorder

J

joyous

My DVD player/recorder does not accept DVD Roms so I can't download to my PC and burn a DVD.
It also doesn't accept small DVD discs so I can't have a camera that uses those.
It does have a dubbing facility for a camcorder using the audio video input holes on the front panel.
My question is what type of camcorder using what type of recording media would be suitable for this so I can dub directly from camera to DVD-R discs.
I am terribly ignorant about all this - hope someone will help
Thanks
Joy

B

Brian110507

joyous said:
My DVD player/recorder does not accept DVD Roms so I can't download to my PC and burn a DVD.
You don't burn DVD roms in your PC - your burn Video DVDs which play on almost any DVD player these days.

joyous said:
My question is what type of camcorder using what type of recording media would be suitable for this so I can dub directly from camera to DVD-R discs.
All of them - anyone you like or can afford.

J

joyous

Oh. The slot on my computer has a DVD Rom logo on it. So will it burn a DVD-R disc?
I think I prefer something that dubs direct - only because I'm not very technical and have never burned a CD let alone a DVD.

J

joyous

Thanks Pinoy.
The hard disk one looks interesting. I'll investigate further.

Thanks both. I'm probably being a right wimp not feeling confident to edit via computer. All this is such a steep learning curve.

lurcher

Been useing the JVC MG50 30gig Hard Drive camcorder for 3/4 weeks, if you want to ask any specific questions feel free to ask on this thread or pm me.

P

Pinoy

Hi Lurcher, how is the video quality like ? any regrets on this camera ?

B

Brian110507

joyous said:
Oh. The slot on my computer has a DVD Rom logo on it. So will it burn a DVD-R disc?.
Only if it's a burner as well as a player - - if it is a burner it should burn DVD-R, DVD+R, as well as DVD+RW and DVD-RW, but if it's only a player (as many are) then you'll need to add a burner

J

joyous

I'm learning such a lot here.
Beejaycee how do I tell if it's a DVD burner or just a player? The are two slots the D drive as well as the E drive. It will burn CD's. Can you tell from this?

Lurcher - the camera seems to fit my bill although it is rather expensive. I like the sound of a hard disk. It's also very light which is one of my requirements. I travel a lot - trekking and things - so it also needs to be fairly robust. One of the important things is the battery configuration and battery life as I'm often away from civilisation and a power source for a matter of weeks. The web site didn't really say much about the battery.

Other requirements is that it be idiot proof. I don't want something that is complicated to operate. I think I need a fairly good optical zoom as I want to take it into the mountains and will be using it out of doors a lot. What size of zoom would you say I need?

Would like to hear generally how you find it.

lurcher

joyous,
There are 3 battery types available 707-1hr/714-2hr and 733-5hr.
The supplied one is the 1hr type. 733 is up to 5hrs but the jvc one would cost over £100.
Third party ones are available for under £30.
Yes the camera is very lightweight but any high capacity battery will increase the weight.
Not a problem for me as the camcorder is mounted to the cars headrest via a Hague mount.
Its simple to operate ie record and playback. 15x zoom is standard although the other models in the range boast 25x zoom I think.
Dont get tied down with large zooms when handholding as your footage will suffer.

Trending threads

Top Bottom