1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder - service or replace?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ianh64, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have a Sony TRV8E mini DV camcorder. It is about 6/7 years old and for now, does all that I require of it. When the next big thing (HD possibly) comes along I may think about changing, but it probably is not the right time just now.

Unfortunately, the camcorder has developed a fault, well actually, possibly 2 faults. Both are intermittent and I can fix one on the fly when it occurs, but I think they are becomming more frequent.

Faults:
    1. When the camcorder is taken out of standby, it can shut itself down again. Its not the battery as both mine do it. This fault means that you often miss the start of what you want to record.

2. Often when recording, the picture looks like someone has just smeared 'oil' all over image and it flows/shears in the downwards direction often with a light blue tint. This can be fixed by exerting light pressure on the case just below the microphone.

Now, I am in a delimmer:
    1. Do I get the camcorder serviced - what are typpical prices and success rate
    2. Do I cut my losses and get a new cheap camcorder now
    3. Do I get a HD camcorder or are these not quite there yet?

Ofcourse I could always keep going with the old one but one day I will regret it as it will probably stuff up just at the most vital moment.

Thanks in advance on hearing your experiences

-Ian

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To get somebody to even look at the cam is likely to cost at least £100. Then add any part plus additional hours spent woking on it and I doubt the repair would cost less than £200, and quite possibly more. So what is the cam worth? If it was a £1000+ cam then a repair is probably worth it, but on a £300 cam I would say you would be better off getting another. Any repair would probably only come with a 3 month guarentee.
    HD cams are few & far between at the moment, and those that are around are expensive. AFAIK only JVC (720p) & Sony (1080i) currently have HD cams. I know the HD Sony consumer cam costs around £2000 so still a major investment. Also remember that until DVD-HD/BluRay are around there is no media that can be used to store/play the HD recordings, therefore you can only downconvert to SD for output to a DVD or play the HD direct from a PC HDD.

Mark.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks, thats what I thought. The misses offered to replace the old one so I have now got to somehow broker a deal against a Sony HDR-HC1 that I have seen is to be released ;)

4. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The problems you describe are well known on this model and, along with a deck service (there were one or two "weaknesses") it should operate as good as new. If it has served you well so far it might be worth considering a repair. Look for an authorised service centre that has enough confidence in their work to give you a 12 month warranty.

Peter Brereton

5. acl

acl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bizarre, i was in the same situation AND have the same model TRV8. Only it chewed tape every time. After getting a number of quotes to repair...all wildly different...i made the decision to go with the new and i went out and got the HDR-HC1....just under £1050

Verrrrry good and it seems i got the EK version with additional memory cards.