1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder recommended for sport/action

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kiwidude, Mar 22, 2003.

1. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies in advance for yet another 'camcorder recommendations please' type thread but appreciate any advice as I know very little about these things...

I am looking to buy a camcorder for recording (for personal use) some of the sports I participate in (primarily inline slalom skating).

In my ideal world the camcorder would be:
    - primarily for outdoor use (hence not too bulky)
    - great image quality (as individual frame analysis is desirable)
    - able to edit the videos on my PC (I have a firewire port already).
    - excellent quality still images (as I don't own a digital camera)
    - able to record "low-light" images (eg. skating at night under lighting - I don't expect perfection, just hope for watchability!)

As for budget, well I was originally thinking up to £1,500 but ideally around £1,000 - happy to spend more if needed to do the job I want...

It's been years since I last used a camcorder so no idea of how good the technology is nowadays - ie. ideally I would like to be able to pan a line of slalom cones (up to 20m) hand-holding as a skater goes through - realistic or is a tripod going to be essential?

Many thanks for your advice and input...

2. Bram1982

Bram1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic MX500 will be great for all the things you wish for except the last one.

The panasonic has excellent outdoor image quality (it's a 3 CCD chip cam) and has (of course) a firewire connection. Also this cam can take 3 mpix still images (interpolated, but still it makes very good photo's with great colors and good contrast) This cam also has OPTICAL image stablisation. (great if you use the zoom a lot)

Last but not least, it's not a bulky cam like the XM1, the XL1(s) and the VX2000 ;)

However as I already mentioned in line one: This cam is VERY bad when used in low light situations. You will need at least a 200 watt lamp nearby for descent video. (see my other post in the "Panasonic MX500" topic)

Yes, of course it will be viewable, but you don't want to buy a $2000 cam just for "viewable" content ;)

A cheap alternative would be the GR-DV4000 from JVC (release 15 april). with better low light performance compared to the MX500, but if you really want the optical image stabalisation and the 3CCD version (which will give you slightly better image quality in outside locations) you will have to look at those bulky expensive Sony's and Canon's ;)

Rule of thumb: You get what you pay for and you don't get what you don't pay for. There will be no cheap "magic cam" with none of the drawbacks mentioned here :clown:

Good luck!

3. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thankyou for your response!

I had a chance to physically see the MX500 recently, and it is certainly smaller than the Sony TRV-950 which I was also looking at - a huge plus to me.

Your point about low light is well taken, guess you can't have everything... lol Given the low percentage of anticipated footage in that environment it is worth the sacrifice to have so many of my other requirements met!

Anyone know if this is a model about to be replaced? Would rather know these things in advance...

Thanks again.

4. Bram1982

Bram1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Don't worry about it being replaced yet. This model is the successor of the MX-350 and is thus quite new.

I think it will take a year at least before Panasonic releases a new version... not worth the wait I think.