Camcorder Recommendations

hunter29078

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick back up on an old hobby, and would like some advice on todays camcorders. I would like a 4k and have a budget of 3k. I was looking at a Panasonic ag-dvx200, but thought I would ask before buying. My wants are: video camera that can use an external mic, records in mp4 format, uses SD cards, and possible has 2 sd slots. I am not a professional. I use tripods, but that's about it. I want a camera that is good with natural lighting and doesn't require lighting and stabilization equipment. Thanks.

Looking to pick back up on an old hobby, and would like some advice on todays camcorders. I would like a 4k and have a budget of 3k. I was looking at a Panasonic ag-dvx200, but thought I would ask before buying. My wants are: video camera that can use an external mic, records in mp4 format, uses SD cards, and possible has 2 sd slots. I am not a professional. I use tripods, but that's about it. I want a camera that is good with natural lighting and doesn't require lighting and stabilization equipment. Thanks.
Is there any real reason why you want a high spec camcorder like the 200 ? as there are some good mid range prosumer ones that would fit the bill.

No real reason. I have some HD camcorders that work well too. What would be some midrange proconsumer models that I could look at that fit with my want list?

No real reason. I have some HD camcorders that work well too. What would be some midrange proconsumer models that I could look at that fit with my want list?
Hi, the only reason I asked is that the midrange camcorders are smaller and easier to carry around, they will also fit in a large pocket and can produce some amazing results. Obviously the more you go up the range in price the cameras should be able to make a better job with having more facilities on it like bigger sensors/longer lens range/built in filters/more controls etc, but with a bit of forethought and decent editing equipment you can produce very good videos on the mid range ones. I have several cameras that I use and two of them are 4k, a Sony FDR AX 53 and a Panasonic HC VXF990 that both produce similar results but the Sony wins on it's amazing stabilization. The Panasonic wins on user friendly controls though. Using a big SD card gives hours of 4K.
I mainly use them for filming walks/touring in the UK and Spain when I don't want to lug around bigger/heavier equipment and multi cam videos of groups and small advertisements in both countries. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing both being given reviews and tests.

Attachments

• Guncam.jpg
    Guncam.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Gordon. So I used video years ago with my Father for smaller stuff like school sports, recitals, etc.. when we stopped we were using 8mm. I recently started transferring those old tapes to digital, which got me interested in it again. I did buy a small HD camcorder which does a really nice job and is really small. I won't argue that mid range cameras wouldn't be a better option for myself. I was set on the dvx200, but after reading a bit I though there may be some better options in the price range, or even less. I definitely like the Sony ax 53 I just wish it had more manual options. I would like to be able to have more control over the setting to play around with.

Thanks Gordon. So I used video years ago with my Father for smaller stuff like school sports, recitals, etc.. when we stopped we were using 8mm. I recently started transferring those old tapes to digital, which got me interested in it again. I did buy a small HD camcorder which does a really nice job and is really small. I won't argue that mid range cameras wouldn't be a better option for myself. I was set on the dvx200, but after reading a bit I though there may be some better options in the price range, or even less. I definitely like the Sony ax 53 I just wish it had more manual options. I would like to be able to have more control over the setting to play around with.
Yes the AX 53 is quite a good camera and it suits me for the type of videos that I make. Regarding the controls, the fact that you can't control the shutter speed and iris completely separate is it's only fault, but unless you are really making tech films I can't see a real problem that you can't overcome with trick editing in post. Of course I have other cameras that will do exactly what I want so it's not a problem.
My 3 favorite fully adjustable camcorders that I still have and use are the old Panasonic SD 900 series I use for multi cam events that are still giving good service after years of abuse ! Obviously they are only 1080p HD but all of my films are finally rendered in that format for my YouTube channel anyway so it's no big deal for me. Whatever you finish up with I hope you enjoy your "found again hobby"

Last edited:
Is there any real reason why you want a high spec camcorder like the 200 ? as there are some good mid range prosumer ones that would fit the bill.
I found this showing what can be done with the older Panasonic 980 you can get it on YouTube in 4K in the settings. The 990 is a better camera and takes the same quality as the 980.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom