camcorder recommendation needed: good for filming in a church?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Janey--, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Janey--

Janey--
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

I'm getting married this summer and would like to buy a camera and ask a friend to film the ceremony for us.

It will need to be under £600 and good in low light (of the church)... obviously we would like it to film in as nice quality as possible.

Can anybody give me any ideas?

Thanks,
    Janey

2. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Nothing under £600 is going to be astounding in low light (and some churches are very, very dark places) but the Canon high definition camcorders are well respected. The HV30 / HV40 (which record to tape) are probably your best bet. The HF100 (records to memory cards) a close second. An accessory microphone would also be worth considering, as the quality of built-in mics is variable to say the least - especially at anything more than close range, and in an echo-y space. Lapel mics would be best, but more awkward to deal with - and let's face it, you don't want to be stressing over technology on the day.

3. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Are you getting the camera just for the wedding day or will you be continuining to use it afterwards? In my opinion the money would be better spent paying a professional to do a proper job. When I got married the guy we used did a terrific job - when we watch the DVD now we are glad we paid someone to do it. A couple of years ago I was asked to film a family wedding, because I was the only one in the family with a (current generation) camcorder - but it was just hand-held stuff on a not-fantastic MiniDV unit and my non-Steven Spielberg-like shooting skills - they seemed pleased enough but looking back I am not pleased with the result.

I don't mean to preach and it's your decision (and your money) but it's a once in a lifetime event and you don't want to regret it later. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what sort of quality you want it to be.

p.s. if you go down the DIY route then try and use a tripod if possible. The best video is usually generated when the camera is perfectly still.

4. glesgaguyav

glesgaguyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The Canons metioned above are probably the best in this price range, it's adviseable to use an external mic as the internal mics would not be sufficient IMO

But make sure your friend is completly confident in using the cam, it's very easy too hit the wrong button at the wrong time or run out of recording media or battery power at the wrong time and as mentioned above always use a tripod.
    If possible try and get a rehersal to see the best position for the cam without being an imposition and whether the lighting will be adequate.

5. Janey--

Janey--
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your suggestions and I appreciate the time you've spent replying :)
    Ideally we'd like something that we can use afterwards (honeymoon, and when we have a family).

6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Amazon.co.uk: sony hdr - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo
    the hdr-cx11 would do what you want although i prefer the sr 11/12 myself.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. editpo

editpo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am with Mr Lazy on this. Definitely get a Professional in. I guarantee you will be disappointed if your friend does the filming. In fact i'd put money on it.
    As a professional editor I have had many couples come to me saying they wished they got a professional in.

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I have to agree with all the above posts
    Chris's post refers more to use afterwards I would think
    The SR 11 12 are decent hi def models which record to HDD/ memorystick and will later need you to tap on your PC skills ( I guess youll cross that bridge when you reach it though;) )
    I appreciate that the money has to go round but the idea of buying a camcorder and giving a friend is .. for a wedding in a church, a tad worrying to me
    If you have any friend who have a camcorder already, with tripod and had done such before, I would give them an " incentive" a they are already familiar with thier kit and technique
    This will then free you to buy your own personal use camcorder (which can still be used but not relied upon) for wedding honeymoon ect