Camcorder purchase advice under £300

DJ83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Panasonic HC-V750, which was damaged beyond repair on holiday.

I therefore have no way to view my recordings, or to edit them (I do not have a laptop).

I am wanting to buy a new camcorder that meets similar requirements to the Panasonic.

The main purpose is for holiday recordings. The camera would therefore only be used about twice a year. My recordings are basic, with the purpose of playing back our holiday memories to the family etc.

The only editing I do is to cut the length of scenes, and I would want to be able to do that on the camera without the need for separate editing software.

The camera should be able to connect to my Tv (by cable is fine) for playback.

I would like the camera to be at least HD.

My budget is £300. Ideally more like £250.

I often like to zoom-in on things, so a good zoom is a preference.

I also have shaken hands, so an image stabilising mode would be good.

Any advice on the best buys?

Thanks.

Panasonic HC-W570EB-K Full HD Camcorder with Twin Camera (50x Optical Zoom) at £250 from Amazon

Thanks.

Reading a review, it states that the camera has a small CMOS (I have no idea what that means).

Will the image quality be poor?

Obviously image and sounds quality are ultimately the most important factors.

Can you also please advise if this camera is better than the HC-V279EB-K ?

I know that the W570EB has a secondary 'selfie' camera, but I would not use that function.

I was wondering what else made the W570EB warrant the extra £50?

Thanks

You have made a limit on your budget. Out of choice I would go for the HC-V770. It is the newer model to the 750.

You don't mention any Editing - so are you relying on the longevity of Memory cards?

You should be transferring the files onto a hard drive, using Windows OS and pref an external HDD so it can be stored away from daily knocks, etc. ( some where cool, dry and away from electrics )

Presently you may not want to spend time Editing, but maybe later-on you will; so making things very simple is a "Good Idea" - eg filming daily a piece of paper that gives Location + Date . . . . this being an easy means, rather than having to look under "Properties" for the Date-only.

Also, if the camcorder is used "Twice a year" - then you should make provision for keeping the battery charged, - ideally in the camcorder ( so its internal Memory is maintained )- the reason for this is that modern batteries don't like being left discharged..... and they can discharge themselves in a month or two, depending on the starting State-of-Charge.

Good Luck with yr new purchase.

I therefore have no way to view my recordings, or to edit them (I do not have a laptop)
Presumably you have a PC of some sorts or is all this done on a phone?

IMO a desktop system is the better choice. For example mine runs two screens, one for the program and one used to view the edited video, plus SD card reader and DVD burner. If you wish to make decent videos an editor is a must have. Again most suppliers allow a 30 day "free" trial.

As Harry says SD cards are a temporary store and it is better to download to a hard drive at some stage. My edited videos are on my HDD and with a copy on a SD card for use in my Blu-Ray player.

Thank you.

I don't actually have a laptop or PC, so I don't have any editing programmes.

Previously, I would simply use the camcorder's in-built functionality to be able to cut/crop scenes.

I don't do any more editing than that - I just shorten some scenes.

I do however back them up onto an external hard drive, using a friend's computer.

The search continues!

Thanks.

OK. So if you want to play back on a TV in high definition you will need a camcorder with a HDMI Out socket. Some older TVs have an A/V input but the quality will be lower.
I can only write about the 750/770. This has a Manual Edit function to trim clips plus a feature that you can set the clip to music. (What music - I don't know)

Thanks.

The 750 (the model which I previously had) suited our needs, however it doesn't seem to be sold in many places now. They must have stopped making it.

The 770 looks very good, but it's currently out of our £300 price range, so I'm hoping that the prices decrease.

There are a few 750s left on eBay but the 770 is a direct replacement to the 750 so the 750 had to fizzle out sometime.
The problem is that the cheaper cameras do not have the options to edit that the 770 has. Best to download the User Manuals for the camera you choose and see if the editing "in camera" is available.

In-Camera Editing may appeal, but if you are using the LCD Screen it will be difficult to do more that remove really-bad-bits . . . there is just not enough definition to judge sharp focus IMHO unless you have exceptional eyesight and a good charge in the battery.
My Sony also provides music - said to suit the style of the pictures - Huh I don't want to go there.
When I bought v10 of SMS, it cam with 160 (?) Royalty-free tracks . . . but many were only "variations" - but there were some good ones!
However, nowadays the Internet id full of Similar Royalty-free tracks ( and we have EM, our Resident Musician, too ) . . . so unless you want sole-use, you may as well trawl away.

However, if OP needs anything more than basic cuts, it's a great shame - as decent footage is being given a poor viewing platform, er IMHO.

Far better to get a modest Video Editor and learn how to use it creatively.
That way you can get even more than one film from the same Trip!

Buyer Beware! If you do buy an older camcorder, it may have internal faults that cannot be easily determined ( eg like the internal Battery that support the Time/Date/File Numbering, etc ) and check in the Manual ( Terfyn suggested ), to see if the Batteries are still available, along with the mains PSU, etc. . . . . . Manufacturers have a habit of minor changes so you have to buy "new"
- Grr! Something the EU never really considered.

Good Luck to all.

I don't actually have a laptop or PC, so I don't have any editing programmes
Harry I think this is OPs point!

Thanks Terfyn, I'd forgotten that point, not wishing to read the whole thread each time . . . but isn't that surprising these days?

Keeping in touch by email is very common now - and using websites can save money, . . . . as well as reading answers to the Threads here . . . . !

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom